Running a current through garage door handle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a garage which has been subjected to at least three dozen attempted break-ins over the past five years.

Now, my insurance company have said enough is enough and they aren't prepared to insure the garage........the police are useless ("we don't attend the scene where criminal damage is involved sir") so it's down to me to sort out protection for my family and I. Can any kindly soul in here tell me how I'd go about running a current through the door handle (or even better, the door itself)?

The door is metal, the handle is plastic.

The idea, obviously, is to give the lowlife scum who masquerade as human beings something to think about the next time they stray onto my property.

The garage is at least thirty feet inside my boundary line so there's no danger of anyone "accidentally" brushing against it.

And, yes, this is a genuinely serious question!

Thanks in advance for reading and your time.

email address removed, these can be shown in your profile

Sponsored Links
And this is a genuinely serious reply - if you do that, and injure or kill someone you will be the criminal.

Why not invest in a security alarm or flood lighting??

CCTV, or fake CCTV??

Even the smallest electric shock could cause severe problems if not death to someone with a weak heart or a pacemaker for example.

A well advertised and fitted security alarm and flood lighting will deter people from even trying to gain access.

Lectrician said:
Why not invest in a security alarm or flood lighting??

CCTV, or fake CCTV??

Even the smallest electric shock could cause severe problems if not death to someone with a weak heart or a pacemaker for example.

A well advertised and fitted security alarm and flood lighting will deter people from even trying to gain access.

Well, I'm not sure that most criminals in society today have pacemakers or weak hearts!

As for CCTV, alarm and floodlights acting as deterrents......no they won't, I have all three.............the crims simply smashed the floodlight and even though my infra-red CCTV clearly identifed who they were, the police weren't prepared to act because they thought there were Data Protection Act concerns!

So my original question still stands :)

Sponsored Links
I'll probably get shot down for saying somthing like this....oh well

Been thinking about this and the most common thing i can think of is electric fences, If somone on the forum wants to say how they work, as i dont know, it might be possible to adapt one.

Stick some huge yellow warning notices over your garage door too, they might be able to put 2+2 together......

Chuckles1066 said:
Well, I'm not sure that most criminals in society today have pacemakers or weak hearts!

What if a young child running to collect the football near your garage door ?

I think the only way is to make it harder for them to break into.

Just in front of the garage door you could fit maybe 2 or 3 telescopic bollards such as this

Thanks for the positive answer :) At least someone had the courage to stick their head over the parapit and risk getting it shot off :)

The problem is, I use the garage for parking my car so a fence isn't the most practical solution.

It was recently announced that the Houses of Parliament are to be protected from terrorist attack by electric fences. I don't see the difference betwen that and someone protecting their own home.

You posted same time as me Chuckles. It's the principle of using electricity here though.

shaggy said:
You posted same time as me Chuckles. It's the principle of using electricity here though.

My point precisely...............if electricity can be used to protect property via fences, I don't see what's wrong with using it to protect property via a metal door.

Electricity is electricity is electricity surely?

As a commodity, it's actually probably the most effective deterrent there is.

And if somebody who just happens to be 30ft inside my boundary line trying my garage door handle gets a nasty shock, what's the problem? I know we live in a do-gooders/namby-pamby society these days but it can't have gone that far surely?

Chuckles:
Definitely not. Mains current is out of the question, but whatever is ok to protect our hard working MP's should be ok to protect you.(in my opinion of course)

shaggy said:
Chuckles:
Definitely not. Mains current is out of the question, but whatever is ok to protect our hard working MP's should be ok to protect you.(in my opinion of course)

ok, car battery?

would that work? or would the jolt be negligible?

if you are going to do it you need an electric fence unit

they give pulses which are high voltage but short duration and high impedance

bascially designed to shock without injuring

I think you need to do a bit more research here Chuckles. You don't get a shock from a car battery, not enough volts.
Is this a wind-up?

Why not install some sort of siren attached to your garage doors with a hidden on /off switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back