Door to adjoining garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I've been using this forum for ages, but for once my question hasn't already been answered (or at least not that I can find via the search).

I'm in a first floor maisonette and my ground level entrance is at the back of the adjoining garage. There's a single layer breeze block wall between what is now my hall and the rest of the garage. I want to put a door in this wall to gain access to my garage from my entrance hall.

I know it has to be FD30 with a self closer and needs a threshold into the garage of height 100mm.

However, if I raise the door to get the required threshold, then there isn't room to fit a standard height door without raising the garage roof. Since the current one is the standard concrete/asbestos 60's mix this is a non trivial task.

I also want the door to be secure as it's leading into my house, a lot of the fire doors I've found are all 'internal' and seem to be just plywood over a fire resistant filling. Will these take a decent lock and be 'kick proof'?

Is what I'm asking feasible without re-doing the roof of the whole garage? (i.e can I have a door which is 100mm shorter than normal)

If so, where can I get a fire door which is solid enough to be secure and which will fit a shorter opening, or one which will allow me to chop enough off to make it fit? (most I've looked at only allow about 5mm to be removed from the bottom).

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
assuming its a door opening into the house you need a wall or barrier 100mm high
why not go for a 115mm high step tied into the wall each side to give a barrier!!

not the prettiest solution but probably the cheapest!!!

Ok, if I understand you correctly you're suggesting a C shape step around the door and using a normal sized door. I can do this on the garage side but I can't on the house side as the door is going to be directly opposite my front door and therefore wont allow it open.

Nice thinking outside the box though!

Sponsored Links
Just re-read and better understood... the barrier only needs to be on the garage side!

Hmm, will have to see if I can open into the house or not, otherwise I could do a large C shape to allow the door to open within it.

Whatever I do I'm going to trip over it all the time - I know there's a reason for this legislation, but sometimes I do question how well it's been thought through!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back