Running a rain water drain .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
I’m after abit of advice , I’m running a new underground rain water drain ,and at abit of a quandary of which backfill material to use , I’ve got a tonne of gravel that I was going to bed and cover before backfilling with clay and soil, the thing is I’ve also got a load of soft yellow building sand sat doing nothing , would this type of sand be ok as either a bedding for the drain or for backfilling after the gravel , just abit unsure if yellow sand can be used as a bedding / filler ie will it drain ok etc
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sand could be used once you have a covering of pea gravel over the pipe, yes.
I'd be more inclined to get rid of the clay down there though.

My BC said the guidance is that media up to 10mm was fine for covering the pipes, so actively encouraged me to use the sand I’d dug out to backfill my pipes.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help guys , in the end I bedded the pipe on gravel , then covered over the top . I will fill the rest of the trench in with the soft sand I have . cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back