1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Running a rain water drain .

Discussion in 'Building' started by rockhopper69, 8 Oct 2021.

1. rockhopper69

rockhopper69

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi guys
    I’m after abit of advice , I’m running a new underground rain water drain ,and at abit of a quandary of which backfill material to use , I’ve got a tonne of gravel that I was going to bed and cover before backfilling with clay and soil, the thing is I’ve also got a load of soft yellow building sand sat doing nothing , would this type of sand be ok as either a bedding for the drain or for backfilling after the gravel , just abit unsure if yellow sand can be used as a bedding / filler ie will it drain ok etc
    Thanks in advance

2. noseall

noseall

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sand could be used once you have a covering of pea gravel over the pipe, yes.
    I'd be more inclined to get rid of the clay down there though.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. kingandy2nd

kingandy2nd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My BC said the guidance is that media up to 10mm was fine for covering the pipes, so actively encouraged me to use the sand I’d dug out to backfill my pipes.

5. rockhopper69

rockhopper69

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the help guys , in the end I bedded the pipe on gravel , then covered over the top . I will fill the rest of the trench in with the soft sand I have . cheers

6. Sponsored Links