Running cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My house has only four fused circuits. One for lights upstairs, one for lights downstairs, one for all sockets (up and down) and one that was for the immersion tank (before it was removed). The house is timber frame with drywall construction and hasn't had it's wiring updated since it was constructed. I have to get an electrician in to do a lot of things, including installing a modern consumer unit. To run new cable, he'd have to shift lots of furniture and lift just about every carpet and floorboard on the first floor. Am I allowed to run the new cable myself? I don't mean connect it at all, just run the lengths so all he has to do is make the connections and test?
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
yes you are allowed to. I'd speak to the electrician that will be doing the work first though so you can work to his designs for your home.

Because the house is a 'living' area, the quickest method of rewire is not available, unless you plan a two week holiday (great excuse!).

Invite some sparks round and tell him what you propose. I'd have no issue with you doing the work, subject to keeping it available for inspection and you understanding the need for route planning and doing things to the 16th ed standards.

Most sparks will have a mate for some of the low skill work such as chopping out back box positions, channeling walls etc. They might cost, but will do the work 2 x more quickly than you, so do consider going down the 'let them do it all' route.

Remember that you will expect the sparks to provide inspection, test and certificate for the entire re-wire, so some might say this can't be done because they couldn't warrant your work.

The debate might be solved by you suggesting that they supply all the materials and that you restrict your work to making cable routes or simple 1st fix only.

Thanks for that.
I need the electrican to make sure everything's safe and meets the regulations, but I actually want to do as much as I'm allowed myself.

Where can I find info on the "16th ed standards"?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back