Running central heating from hot water immersion cylinders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have currently purchased a cottage and have no gas mains or oil fired boiler. I am building a car port and planning to install 3 or 4 solar panels. This will be linked to 2-4 decent 12v inverters.

I'm planning to install 4 radiators, a central heating pump and thermostat.

My plan is for the solar panels to switch on the two large hot water immersion cylinders during the day (for free) then when we want the central heating on at night we switch the pump on/thermostat.

Will this work?

Sponsored Links
I think the solar panels would be fine for providing the domestic hot water, but once connected to radiators the stored heat would be very quickly exhausted .....interested to hear what the others say!
John. :)

planning to install 3 or 4 solar panels.

You forgot to say what is the peak and average annual output of these panels. Are they for example 250W each peak? How do you hope to run one, let alone two, immersion heaters at 3kW each?

Are the radiators about 1kW output each?

"do the math"

Sponsored Links
We have currently purchased a cottage and have no gas mains or oil fired boiler. I am building a car port and planning to install 3 or 4 solar panels. This will be linked to 2-4 decent 12v inverters.

I'm planning to install 4 radiators, a central heating pump and thermostat.

My plan is for the solar panels to switch on the two large hot water immersion cylinders during the day (for free) then when we want the central heating on at night we switch the pump on/thermostat.

Will this work?

HL&S........ :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Welcome to Pullers's fishing party & have a nice day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back