Increasing amount of water heated with the immersion heater, options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know the Wilis system will heat whole cylinder, and a longer immersion will also heat more, I know renewing an immersion can rip the tank, and I would assume a pump could also circulate the water, the problem is the immersion has a 9 inch thermostat and only heats a bit at the top, so I get good weather and the water is hot, but with a couple of days of little sun so immersion not turned on, and water cold again, heated with the central heating it stays hot for 4 days, but not with electric, don't want to spend too much, what are my options?

Immersion only used when there is excess solar power, before solar panels always used the oil boiler to heat it.

Sponsored Links
Disconnect the in-element thermostat and fit a separate wall attached unit further down the tank

That won't help as the water below the immersion heater will not get heated. (see stratification)

Sponsored Links
I suspect he has a 14" element based on the picture in his other thread. To my mind, only an immersion heater with a longer element is likely to be much use in his situation. Although he keeps fishing for someone to tell him a Willis system is the answer.

I have tried to get a local plumber to fit a longer immersion heater, I am still waiting for a reply from him. I feel that's the best answer, but was looking for anything else which may work instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back