Running electrics in timber framed outhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all...

In the midst of building an outhouse at the end of the garden, will at some point be getting a qualified sparkie in to run the electric and new panel. However, on the build we are framed, waterproof and ready to insulate. Is it right not to wire in the the insulation or should go be laying cable?

In the timber frame (4x2), there will be around 10mm max of gap / air space after the insulation board is installed. I am slightly concerned about fitting cables in this void because of heat, possibility of degradation and also future maintenance.

So I am currently planning on insulating, plastic sheeting and then plaster boarding - and then for the electrics just running in trunking and using non sunken sockets. No really bothered about aesthetics as it's going to be an office mainly, but just want to seek advise if this is the best thing to do, or if I should in fact be cabling up under the plasterboard before it's done!

TIA

Sponsored Links
So I am currently planning on insulating, plastic sheeting and then plaster boarding - and then for the electrics just running in trunking and using non sunken sockets. No really bothered about aesthetics as it's going to be an office mainly, but just want to seek advise if this is the best thing to do, or if I should in fact be cabling up under the plasterboard before it's done!
It's really down to aesthetics. If you are happy to have the cables in surface trunking and to have surface sockets/switches etc., then there's nothing wrong with that, and that's a simple way to do it (both initially and if any subsequent maintenance or modification is needed) - but it obviously would not be all that pretty. If you wanted the prettier option, and provided there is enough space, cabling behind the plasterboard would also be OK.

Whatever, you really need to discuss all this with the electrician who is going to do the installation before you make any decisions, or do anything irrevocable!

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the info John - I wasn't too sure if there were any rules / or issues running cables behind the board with not much gap. From what you say I shouldn't be running the wires behind the insulatio - But in between the plasterboard and insulation? Does this pose a risk for future if anything is mounted on the wall and a drill is used?

Definately will be speaking to sparky, but wanted to be clear in my head the do's and dont's :)

Thanks for the info John - I wasn't too sure if there were any rules / or issues running cables behind the board with not much gap. From what you say I shouldn't be running the wires behind the insulatio - But in between the plasterboard and insulation? Does this pose a risk for future if anything is mounted on the wall and a drill is used?
There clearly is a risk (from drills, screws, nails wtc.), but this is a risk which exists with the great majority of cables buried in walls (drills, nails and screws can be quite long!), so the regulations attempt to address this issue by imposing two requirements for cables buried less than 50mm below wall surface (unless mechanically protected) .... firstly the cables have to be routed in 'safe zones' (essentially vertically or horizontally in line with visible accessories such as sockets/switches, or within 150mm of a side or top corner of a wall), so that one knows where the 'high risk' places are if one has a drill in ones hand. Secondly, such buried cables must be protected by an RCD.
Definitely will be speaking to sparky, but wanted to be clear in my head the do's and dont's :)
Fair enough. It would be interesting to hear what the electrician says/advises.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks John, I'll let you know what he says, good to be informed prior!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back