Running FR-V On Vegetable Oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know older engines are more suited to this, eg not common rail, but those using Bosch pumps and heated injection pumps like the older PSA diesels (XUD???)

Main problem is viscosity.

Would a 2009 Honda 2.2 iCTDi engine (not the newer, sweeter diesel fitted to Accords) complain? I suspect it may have CR, not sure....

If so, could you use a 60:40 diesel/ veg oil mix?

Just wondering if we can save on fuel costs without burgering (pun intended!) the engine.

It has done 125K so far, with no faults or parts replaced, save oil, filters and fluids.

The rest of the car is running on original factory-fitted parts, except tyres, brakes, wipers and a couple of headlight bulbs.
Oh, except a side window some scrote smashed a few years ago.

Exhaust, clutch and shocks are all original.

Sponsored Links
A big no -no on any diesel with electronic injection, I'm afraid. .....it'll end up in tears! Probably acceptable on old mechanical injection units as you say.
John :)

Cheers, John. So you're saying the iCTDi engine is Common Rail?

Sponsored Links
Whether common rail, direct or pumpe deuse injection, any injectors electronically operated wouldn't like an 'impure' fuel.......who knows what the EGR or DPF would make of it either. I have enough issues with EGR's as it is!
Curiously, I occasionally change a fuel filter that has a reddish hue :eek:

I think his dad did the same years ago.

He’s just a chip off the old block.....

I think his dad did the same years ago.

He’s just a chip off the old block.....

hmmmm...:cautious:

ps i see someone has mentioned vegetable oil to use with diesel in another post..
so my bad here...i thought castrol R..which is oil and not chip fat..

:idea:

Last edited:
I think what the OP is asking is whether he can actually run the engine using vegetable oil as a fuel and not as a fuel additive.

Thanks
got a bit mixed up there :(

Is the chip oil not being recycled now to use in some types of “diesel” engines
I would think that injecting the oil may need help to start the burn on the compression/injection cycle to get it to ignite, say a suitable additive
Cheers
GEOF

I think you may be referring to biodiesel, Geof - although perfectly acceptable when blended at a very low percentage manufacturers are very wary of it and don't like warranty claims.....wear in the high pressure pumps being the issue.
For sure it'll come our way eventually ( may even be here now for all I know) but for now I'd advise caution.
I have changed fuel filters on engines using it (older Transits) and they were in a hell of a state - lots of white liquid in evidence).

I think you may be referring to biodiesel, Geof - although perfectly acceptable when blended at a very low percentage manufacturers are very wary of it and don't like warranty claims.....wear in the high pressure pumps being the issue.
For sure it'll come our way eventually ( may even be here now for all I know) but for now I'd advise caution.
I have changed fuel filters on engines using it (older Transits) and they were in a hell of a state - lots of white liquid in evidence).

i agree...i have a late 2008 skoda 1.4 Tdi 3 cylinder
the specs for oils seem to change every which way...501 right up to 508 0/20 with my grade 10/30 PD and
oil it seems cant just be duckhams Q40 and a tin of STP as was once.
now your engine manufacturer is relying on you sticking to what they advise to get the best performance
this must also apply to fuels...the one that gives the best performance and keeps the mot soot merchants away...
i use a fuel treatment once a year and then a measured dose of another at a tank fill up
i had tried the shell rocket fuel and thought it was good but very expensive...
moral here
if it aint broke...dont try to do it yourself...
(y)

Sponsored Links
Back