Running new cable for electric oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace my gas oven with an electric one so it will need a new cable run through to replace the ordinary one. The fuse box is at the other end of the house and i don't have an attic space as there are neighbours above me. Presumably this means taking some floorboards up? I have no carpets. There are ceramic tiles on the kitchen floor, do they need to come up too? Is it wishful thinking to think that a new cable can be pulled through using the existing cable?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Many kitchens have a circuit for an electric cooker, installed "just in case". Are you sure yours doesn't? Are there any switches in the consumer unit whose purpose you don't know?

Is there crawl space under your floor?

First you need to decide on the oven and find out what the power rating of it is. Then you will have the information needed to calculate the size of cable required. It maybe, as already been indicated that the cable size does not require to be updated. Gas hob ignition tend to be on socket circuits that will generally have a equal to or greater than 2.5mm cable. 2.5mm T&E can carry up to 27A (deratings permitted). If you purchase a plug in oven, then you should be okay.

Sponsored Links
One of the Ikea ovens says "Minimum fuse needed: 13A", does that just need an ordinary cable? I'd get a gas hob if that makes any difference.

One of the Ikea ovens says "Minimum fuse needed: 13A", does that just need an ordinary cable?
The problem is "ordinary cable" doesn't have any definite meaning.

How is your existing gas oven connected for its ignition & light?

Do you have a circuit from your fuse box labelled "cooker"?

None of the fuses have a cooker label, just sockets and lights. The gas oven is just plugged in to what I would call an ordinary socket! There's no oven off/on switch above it like i had in my last house for the electric oven.

None of the fuses have a cooker label, just sockets and lights. The gas oven is just plugged in to what I would call an ordinary socket! There's no oven off/on switch above it like i had in my last house for the electric oven.

You should be able to plug that IKEA oven into that socket.

Sounds promising, it'll make a huge difference if I don't need to take up the floor. Thanks everyone.

One of the Ikea ovens says "Minimum fuse needed: 13A", does that just need an ordinary cable? I'd get a gas hob if that makes any difference.
Does this oven come factory fitted with a cable/flex. If not I would expect the manufacture to state what type of cable is acceptable. As it is a cooking appliance, I would expect the cable/flex not only to be rated correctly but to also have heat resistant qualities.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back