running new supply pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im running a new supply pipe about 150m from the meter to my house. The first few meter's INTO the house was replaced in 25mm MDPE a few years ago.

I'm going to run 32mm MDPE the whole way and will need to connect it to the 25mm using either a standard reducer (32-25) or if I can find it, a reducer with built-in stopcock so i've got a stop cock nearer the house.

The first 30 or so metres FROM the meter apparently were replaced many years ago and ill check that when I excavate.

My question is rather than have to get the water board out to connect it all up directly to the meter and inspect the trenching and chlorinate the pipe etc Can I be a bit sneaky and just connect up to the (hopefully existing) 25mm MDPE about a foot from the meter?

I assume going from 25mm to 32mm back to 25mm isn't ideal but at least i'll have good flow most of the route.

Advice please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The flow will be limited by the narrowest point on the pipe, so can't see the point of going to 32 unless you intend to replace the 25 at some future time.

You probably can 'be a bit sneaky'- the pipe inside your boundary is your responsibility after all. But if you are doing the trench etc to water board specs then you'd be best getting them out to connect direct to the meter (1 less joint, 1 less point of failure). If you're replacing lead you may even get a credit on your bill.
Having the long run in 32mm is a good plan- yes the delivery volume will be restricted by the bit of 25 from the meter (and by whatever connects the meter to the distribution pipework) but you will benefit from less pressure drop.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back