Running new water main into house above ground

1 Sep 2008
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I'm having some work done in the garden at the moment, which has revealed my water feed is in lead pipe, coming from another lead pipe.

I would like to have a non-lead feed, partly because of the lead issue but also as this would be an opportunity to boost the flow-rate coming in. Thing is, where the new feed would come into the house is at a different place to the current feed (old main, lead, runs through gardens at the back of the house. New main, plastic, runs along street at the front of the house).

Everything I have seen online shows water mains are at least 750mm underground until the point they are inside the house, and then you can bring it up either in insulated duct or 750mm inside the house.

I don't want to have to dig a 750+mm deep hole through the concrete slab inside the house and under the foundations if I can help it. Is there any approved way to run a new water incomer up the outside wall and to enter above ground level?
Sponsored Links
How much are they to buy?

We use them at work and buy in bulk so I might be able to get you one discounted.
Sponsored Links
Do you know how thick your floor is, and could you core drill a hole in it. Obviouly, you don't need to go down 750mm inside the house, and as long as you angle the hole outwards, then you can insulate the pipe outside as it comes up and into the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local