Running radiator feed pipes behind skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to move the position of a radiator in my kitchen (solid floor) the current pipework appears to be run in the concrete floor. Rather than dig up the floor, I was thinking of running the pipework (10mm) behind the skirting.

Two questions :-
1) Is it accepatble practice to do this?

2) The feed to the kitchen radiator will come from the dining room which has a suspended wooden floor so making the connections should be easy enough. What I need to figure out is how to get the pipework from under the floor in the dining room to behind the skirting in the kitchen - the dividing wall is masonry.

Any help gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
its not good practise to put it behind skirting

whats stopping u putting a new channel in the floor not a big job you got tiles down or something??

Make sure you protect the pipe if doing this too or use the correct grade of copper (Table Y).

Tommy,

I do have tiles down but they are going to be replaced anyway. I just thought that channelling a concrete floor would be difficult and time consuming. You say it isn't a big job, would I need to hire any special equipment to do this or is it a case of a club hammer, chisel and hard graft?

Sponsored Links
As you say can be done with hand tools. You can make it easier with the use of an SDS drill/breaker. A 5Kg one will channel through that no problem. You could also stitch drill the channel out then knock it out with a hammer and chisel.

I'm struggling to understand why it's not acceptable to run it behind the skirting board. Provided the op takes special care when affixing the board back. I have never come across anyone subsequently sticking a nail or screw into a skirting board.

I'm struggling to understand why it's not acceptable to run it behind the skirting board. Provided the op takes special care when affixing the board back. I have never come across anyone subsequently sticking a nail or screw into a skirting board.

Perfectly acceptable as far as i'm concerned :confused:

:idea:
If the radiator is being fitted on the wall between kitchen and dining room just drill through the wall at an angle of around 45 deg and land below the dining room floor.

It isn't something I've ever done myself but so long as you take the same sort of precautions as you would if putting it in concrete (ie no joints in pipework where it would be inaccessible & pipes should be covered with something to prevent any possibility of corrosion) then I wouldn't say its bad practice... just unusual.

If your gonna be replacing the flooring anyway I'd personally just channel out the floor for the pipes rather than fart about trying to stick them behind the skirting..

behind skirting is a good way, if it's what you want. also makes pipes easier to access for alterations. no lifting carpets and boards. you need to plan how to do it if you want a decent finish and vertical skirting...

behind skirting is a good way, if it's what you want. also makes pipes easier to access for alterations. no lifting carpets and boards. you need to plan how to do it if you want a decent finish and vertical skirting...

i cannot see why it cannot be fit behind the skirting .

i wouldnt dream of putting it in the floor ,been to lots and lots of leaks in floors

a message, to your profile. you will need to open as friend

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back