Radiator pipework behind skirting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am laying a new laminate floor in my living room and am taking the opportunity whilst the floors are uncovered to replace the radiator. The pipework runs under the floor for the length of the room until the window alcove where the radiator sits. Then because of a steel beam which runs the length of the alcove.

[Along the bottom of the pic].

The pipes come up through the floor and travel around the perimeter of the alcove to connect to the radiator.

Left hand side

Right hand side

No space to go around or under the beam. So is it acceptable to cut a chase where the pipe meets the wall to go over the beam then continue under the floor to the radiator as usual?

Left hand side

right hand side

This is all going to go behind the skirting which I will fix back on with grip adhesive.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can, keeping the pipe as close to the bottom pf the wall as possible. Personally, I'd be mighty tempted to drill through the steel, since you may be creating a beautiful spot for an airlock by hopping over the steel.

Blimey that was quick!

I'd much rather try to drill 2 x 25mm holes through the steel beam seems much more elegant and as you say avoids the possibility of developing airlocks.

I just assumed that I shouldn't/couldn't since the original installer literally went out of his way to avoid doing that.

Is it really difficult to drill through steel beam??

Sponsored Links
It's not easy, but can be done - expect to ruin a few drill bits. As to structural integrity, have had to do this before and the BCO / architects told me to do it!

Drill through the steel - it will be easier than you think with a sharp hole saw.

Sleeve the pipe where it passes throught the steel, to avoid any abrasion of the pipe. Use soldered copper joints, not pushfit or compression, as I would say they are the least likely to leak, though others may disagree

Erm, why don't you just chase the pipework in the wall behind the skirting? By that, I mean all the way around to the rad and bring the pipe out just above the skirting height, the elbow up into the valve. Super neat!
So easy, and no airlocks as the rad will be the high point.

Drill the RSJ, you're having a laugh.

Drill the beam with proper drill bit, take 5 mins each hole . And look a lot better.
Wrap the copper pipe as it passes through the beam to protect it from corrision , it can pin hole in time if not protected

Move the rad to another wall :)

Erm, why don't you just chase the pipework in the wall behind the skirting? By that, I mean all the way around to the rad and bring the pipe out just above the skirting height, the elbow up into the valve. Super neat!
I am thinking about using a radiator cover and would prefer not to be able to see any pipework if possible. I'll try drilling through the beam first. But as an alternative i'd probably do this instead of my original plan.

I am thinking about using a radiator cover and would prefer not to be able to see any pipework if possible. I'll try drilling through the beam first. But as an alternative i'd probably do this instead of my original plan.

I don't understand, you will see no pipework doing it this way. Drilling the steel beam is just plain daft.

A radiator cover makes no difference, a shallow chase at low level around the wall to the rad is the only way to go. Ah well, it's up to you.

i'd rather drill the beam than behind skirting.
just same as drilling a wood joist.

OK thanks to everyone for your comments.

I will get a handful :LOL: of these 25mm Bosch Cobalt hole saws they sound like they are just the tool I need for this job. A bit pricey but if they work they'll be worth it!

Will sleeve the pipe in some scrap 22mm copper pipe I have laying around.

Will let you all know tommorow how I got on!

Dont sleeve it in 22 its still touching copper to steel wrap it with insulating tape or duct tape

or sleeve it in some 22mm hep2o or speedfit pipe, so that there is no electrical contact between copper and the steel.

And fill and test before putting the floor down, but I know you know that already!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back