Running water in pipes - cannot find leak

hopefully he can establish what's going on, good luck .and please let us know what the findings are .regards terry.

Sponsored Links
Maybe I'm missing something as I'm using physics not professional knowledge and experience, but if Pipe freezing won't work on moving water, you can easily stop it by turning off the stop cock before you freeze it.

but if Pipe freezing won't work on moving water, you can easily stop it by turning off the stop cock before you freeze it.
LOL
get the man a beer!

And it's reasons like this that I cannot help but wonder why I have overlooked the blindingly obvious!

Sponsored Links
LOL
get the man a beer!

And it's reasons like this that I cannot help but wonder why I have overlooked the blindingly obvious!
That's the beauty of the internet for you! Looking forward to the solution, fingers crossed it's simple...(y)

ok folks - the solution.

What I'd like to tell:
It was a very complicated fault which could only be found by a plumber who normally works at Buckingham Palace and has three million pound's worth of equipment. Thank you all for your time but we were all found wanting.

What actually happened:
Jamie came around, was as confused as I was. Admitted he had no clue but continued to check.
After around 30 minutes I stepped back saying I'll stop telling him what I have done so as to not ruin his thinking.

He shut off internal stopcock but needed a spanner to get it the last turn (take note). When it was fully closed (BFH-closed) we could still hear the hissing.
He's concluded it's the main feed from the drive :(
It runs under the house so is near impossible to find.

We called the insurance company who have sent out someone to mole a new pipe around the side of the house where they can pick up one of the water pipes just on the other side of the wall.
I did not think we were covered for it but it seems we are :D Moling around 120 yards, replace the main line and fix make-good my 6 month old block-paving drive all for £300 excess. I'll take that any day....

I have no idea why or where the confusion came in with the main stopcock.
I clearly remember shutting it and hearing the hiss increase and assumed it was the hiss coming past the valve. I think at that point I stopped closing it as it was "clear" the water was rushing past there. I cannot recreate that now though....

Anyhow - many thanks to you all for the time spent and the head scratching. It's hugely appreciated and what makes forums like these (and my own - cheap plug :) www.landcruiserclub.net) great.

I do hang around and lurk a lot. I enjoy the topics which flash past.
I'll do a thread of my upcoming solar-powered garden office project when I start it :)

Cheers,
Crappy

Water meter is at the end of the drive, stopcock is in the house.

I close the stopcock in the house and the hissing(*) stops, as does the water meter. So fault cannot be between house and meter.
The hissing is the water running past the stopcock in the house.

There may be another stopcock in the street at the meter - I have not checked really as the above says it's post the house stopcock. Am I wrong?
glad your sorted . even though you gave us misleading info ,we can forgive you :LOL::LOL:

In the very first post you wrote:

I finally got around to checking the water meter and true as nuts, it's turning. One last-digit every minute.
I close the tap in the house and it stops.

Congratulations to Andy for guessing that your description of the symptoms was wrong and getting the right answer using his psychic powers....

Replacing the lot straight off is pretty good. They normally try to find the leak and make a point repair first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back