running water noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
Hope some one can help as this is driving me bonkers!
Our domestic hot and cold water pipes make a faint noise like a fridge humming. If you hold your hand on the pipe especially the cold it feels like water is running through the pipe.
The water meter does not move and there is no leak in the pipe work in the house. The hot and cold pipe work is very short with the Isar 24 combi next to the kitchen sink, and pipes going straight up to the bathroom. No taps are leaking, toilet cistern is not leaking.

I thought it could be a mains water leak, but the noise stops if I turn our stop cock of, but i'm 100% sure there is no leak in the house. As I said ealier the water meter does not move.

Any help would be much appreciated

Zeb

Sponsored Links
It may be the service pipe from road to your stop cock that has a leak.

It may be some one down the supply line to you has got a leak.
Check with your neighbours or phone water board and say you suspect a leak

Lifted inspection covers on the drains and we've got water running down them, with nothing on in the house. So i presume the main's has sprung a leak and found its way to the drains.
Looks like my weekend is planned out, now where did i put my kango.....

Sponsored Links
If you say your water meter is not spinning, then unless you have some sort of different set up, the pipe work up to your meter/boundary is normally down to the water board. (Thinking about that statement, you could have a meter under the sink)

Check out the small print on your water authorities web site, the first leak is sometimes free to repair. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back