Runnings electrics into single storey extension

oly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning wiring and it seems I have enough sockets in my existing kitchen to be able to use some of those, extending the wiring as necessary into the new extension. I won't need to increase the total number of sockets in the whole house.

I will do all work myself and then get them inspected and signed off for build control.

My question: is it preferable to run power cables through the flat roof ceiling joists or in the 150mm safe zone below the ceiling? Is there an advantage to either?

Obviously my lighting cables will run through the ceiling joists.

Sponsored Links
Not sure how it works with England now but in Wales we have to get the third party involved from the start.

From what I am lead to believe in England kitchens are no longer included in the list of when registration is required but where the LABC is already involved then they may require the installation or minor works certificate which can only be completed by person doing the work.

So if you are designing and installing you sign for that and you can get some one else to inspect and test and he/she signs for that bit but inspection starts at the start not at the end.

Where the LABC are involved they have to approve of the persons doing the work and step one is ask the LABC what they will allow. I had problems getting them to accept my signature and I have been an installation electrician most of my life.

The design depends on what you already have. Is it already RCD protected and where within the permitted zones can you physical run the cables?

In the main we would extend the ring final but step one is take the loop impedance readings to see if extending would exceed the permitted volt drop or where required the earth loop impedance.

Even the selection of cable type depends on the existing wiring and protection.

With a non LABC job many just flaunt the rules but if LABC is involved you have to follow the book.

One thing you can do is down load the blank forms from the IET website and see if you understand what is required. Many a house holder would not have a clue if TT, TN-S, or TN-C-S supply and you do need that to complete the form.

No point in going any further until you say exactly what you want.

• Thanks
Reactions: oly
I will do all work myself and then get them inspected and signed off for build control.
Did you tell your Building Control dept that that was your plan when you applied for approval?

What did they say?

Did they make any stipulations about who should do inspection etc, and when, and who would organise that?

• Thanks
Did you tell your Building Control dept that that was your plan when you applied for approval?

What did they say?

Did they make any stipulations about who should do inspection etc, and when, and who would organise that?

Nothing yet but I will drop BC a line and ask them how they want me to proceed. cheers.

Sponsored Links
So you have not yet applied for Building Regulations approval at all for the extension?

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back