Rust resistance screws (not wood screws)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I want to get stainless steel screws (or similar corrosive resistant) for use with rawl/wall plugs, but not those sharp ones you can get get for timber i.e no pilot hole required or the screw right to the edge ones. Reason being (and correct me if i'm wrong), i'm not convinced such sharp screws would have the same effect on the nylon plugs (they would just screw away at the nylon instead of expanding the plug). So where can I get some decent screws for my purpose. They would just be for putting up guttering downpipes, fixing hose-pipe reel to wall etc. The Wickes/B&Q ones have poor reviews so looking for top branded ones
Many thanks in advance.
Datadiyer.

Sponsored Links
Ordinary woodscrews work with plastic plugs, no matter what they are made of.

Unless you have raided your granddads shed, you will not be using rawlplugs.

Thanks John,
No Gradads shed unfortunately, I know woodscrews have got sharper, so i'm presuming then it has no performance issues into nylon plugs (i.e
screwing away at the nylon instead of expanding the plug?).
Cheers.

Pointy screws and plugs have worked for a good few years now. Isn't that convincing enough?

Sponsored Links
Point taken Woody,
Proof is in the pudding, I am now a believer in pointy razor sharp screws and wall plugs.
Many thanks.

Be careful using stainless steel screws if you've not used them much as they are very soft and the head will shear off quite easily. Use a normal drill driver rather than an impact. I have tried most brands and they are all similar with the shearing issue. Spax were about the best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back