rust

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys im having a few problems getting rid of some rust ive sanded down to metal used corrosion compounds to kill it off.

im not talking big spots im talking tiny spiders that keep coming through new paint job, the rust was too bad but my daughter wanted it sorting hence adding shine to paint job thread.

what ive been doing is three coats primer three coats paint as we do at college but leaving it four days ready to clear coat it by then rust is coming through the paint.

anyone know where im going wrong or how to solve this issue

thanks
terry

Sponsored Links
I found recently while attending to the rust on my van that it tends to form a root that goes deeper into the panel. I ground off the rusty top layer to reveal clean metal but as i ground a little deeper the rust re appeared.
I kept grinding until i was sure it was all gone, although the root was not very deep it was not evident on the first grinding.
I used a dremel and a pointy grinding wheel to do the work and treated with a loctite rust converter aftrerwards, i think kurust is a waste of time as have had no success with it in the past.
Dinitrol and bilt hamber make some of the best anti rust products on the market.

A rust inhibitor is essential.....it will only delay things, but its a waste of time without it. You need the stuff thats pink in colour, and when its brushed on it turns the metal either blue or black. Kurust stuff actually works, for once, and Bilt Hamber stuff is very similar.
If the rust produces a bubble but the paint is intact, its coming from the other side of the panel :eek:
John :)

thanks guys I used the rust inhibitor from Halfords, there are a few pin prick indents where the corrosion has been, I covered them well with inhibitor and I think they are ok the corrosion look to be where ive sanded down to bare metal without any pin holes in those areas

thanks all help guys

Sponsored Links
Two pack primer and two pack colour or water based colour?

Back