Rusting radiator and pipes help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As above,my radiator is rusting on the edges,ive rubbed it down a few times and painted over it but its coming back.

there is also copper piping from it in my lounge that is rusting on the outside.

i know the cause its salt water from my marine tank.

im not keen to change the rad and pipes,so was wondering if i rub them down does anyone know of a 'paint' or rust/corrosion treater i can paint over it with,then ill apply a top coat of enamel/hammerite.

thanks
craig

Sponsored Links
The stuff on the copper pipes will not be rust as copper does not rust.

Would it not be adviseable to sort out the reason why your marine tank is dumping its contents onto your radiator?

The stuff on the copper pipes will not be rust as copper does not rust.

Would it not be adviseable to sort out the reason why your marine tank is dumping its contents onto your radiator?

Hi mate thanks for your reply,i thought that about the pipes,,but when i wipe them its like red rust coming of them,and the paint that was on them is coming off.

i cant really do anythin with the marine tank its evaporation from it,a dehumidifier works not to bad but doesnt prevent.

do you know if the hammerite rust treament is any good to put on the rad so i can recoat it?

Sponsored Links
You can buy a rust preventer from Halfords which will turn the rust black and stop it spreading, This can then be over painted with a good quality paint. I would maybe look at a paint that is speciallly designed for a salt water envoiroment such as International?

You could try the smoothrite radiator enamel as this is also pretty resiliant.

But killing the rust first is essential or it will just come through again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back