painting a rusted satellite dish fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's just over 18 months since I put up my satellite dish – so much for it having a protective coating...

I'm thinking of picking off the loose coating, rubbing the rust with a stiff brush then painting with something like Hammerite.

Or are there alternative courses of action? Perhaps a paint that eats the rust to save you scrubbing it?

My thanks for any advice given.

Sponsored Links
Satellite dish brackets are prone to rust quickly. They often leave an unsightly rusty brown stain on the wall.

Use a scraper to remove the coating and sand all the rust off.

At least two coats of Hammerite would be ok.

If possible, remove the bracket so you can prepare and paint the whole bracket to reduce the possibility of a rusty stain on the wall.

Don't myself have any faith in Hammerite, it has poor covering power and dose'nt really hold back rust. You should be looking at a Zinc phosphate Primer after the removal of the rust, yet you will need to remove all traces of rust before application and finish with two gloss coats preference here would be Dulux Trade Metalshield.

Dec

Don't myself have any faith in Hammerite, it has poor covering power and dose'nt really hold back rust. You should be looking at a Zinc phosphate Primer after the removal of the rust, yet you will need to remove all traces of rust before application and finish with two gloss coats preference here would be Dulux Trade Metalshield.

Dec

And how much would that cost? It's a DIY site and the guy wants to paint an old bracket. The replies you give are little use to this site.

Sponsored Links
So I suppose your advice would be to apply any old product that may seem suitable only for his problem to recoccur in a matter of weeks.

Dec

No but keep in the realm of sensibility.

Joe

fair enough just bear in mind that the two products I recommended are readily available in litre containers, so not that expensive.

Dec

What a whopper joe-90 is!

so my sky dish is rusting, I don't really care about the dish rusting what I care about is the bright orange streaks it's making on my brilliant white K-rend. So I typed it into google and found this thread, and it would appear I have 2 options;
1-take TheDec's advice and buy some proper primer & paint, do the job properly, and hopefully that'll be the last time I have to ever do anything with it
2-take joe-90's advice......
oh actually this guy didn't offer any advice on the subject, he just comes on the forum to poo-poo peoples suggestions, but, reading between the lines what I think he's saying is this is a DIY site, and DIY people don't have any money and aren't interested in doing the job properly they are solely focused on doing it cheap, no matter how poor the end result will be, and it may mean they have to then re-do the job every year or so

What a whopper joe-90 is!

so my sky dish is rusting, I don't really care about the dish rusting what I care about is the bright orange streaks it's making on my brilliant white K-rend. So I typed it into google and found this thread, and it would appear I have 2 options;
1-take TheDec's advice and buy some proper primer & paint, do the job properly, and hopefully that'll be the last time I have to ever do anything with it
2-take joe-90's advice......
oh actually this guy didn't offer any advice on the subject, he just comes on the forum to poo-poo peoples suggestions, but, reading between the lines what I think he's saying is this is a DIY site, and DIY people don't have any money and aren't interested in doing the job properly they are solely focused on doing it cheap, no matter how poor the end result will be, and it may mean they have to then re-do the job every year or so

I pretty much agreed with much of TheDec's advice. Joe-90 could be unnecessarily combative. I haven't seen either for years.

There are a number of ways of dealing with the rust. Personally, I would lightly sand the rust and apply a coat of Owatrol oil. It is an additive that I use to help my oil based paints flow. They, the people that make it, claim that they were inspired after watching a fishing trawler landing its catch. They concluded that the fish oil prevented the metal decking from rusting. I have no idea how they discovered that it will help paint flow.

https://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/product/owatrol-oil/

You literally brush it on, let it dry and then apply oil based under coat and gloss over it. It isn't cheap but they do sell a sample pot (100ml) for £6.

If the rust is on both the back and front, you may want to use some kind of membrane when you put it back up to reduce the risk of the K-Rend scratching the back of the plate. You may also want to look at replacing the coach screws with stainless steel ones (and any washers). Orbital Fastenings will sell individual coach screws at a very competitive price but the minimum for free next day delivery is £25 (within their delivery area).

https://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/

The longest lasting finish may well be an electrostatic powered coated finish, but that is beyond most DIYers. It may be the case that you can purchase stainless steal plates. There is a guy called Lucid who hangs out in the AV section of this forum. If any one knows if they are available, I would expect him to.

https://www.diynot.com/diy/forums/audio-visual/

Best of luck. Please do post back regardless of which option you chose, it helps others.

I took the dish off last Sunday, separated the mount and the arm from the dish and using a drill & wire brush attachment I took all the rust off, and scratched up all the paint that was left. I didn't bother doing anything with the front part of the dish, that seems like a lot of work and I didn't want to interfere with the signal and I am really only interested in stopping the rust mark on my render
I then put on some hammerite kurust and left it till Monday as I had no paint.
whilst the dish was off I wire brushed off as much of the orange stain on my k rend and applied some white Dulux masonry paint, I got a 10L tub last year to repaint a garage wall that got badly stained in some building work, it's a good match to the original k rend brilliant white you can hardly notice it
3 years ago when I originally fitted the dish the wall plugs I used were nylon, and the coach bolts were stainless so these were all ok still

Monday morning I picked up 2 cans of paint, rustoleum grey primer, and another rustoleum gloss grey topcoat which cost £23
put on 2 coats of undercoat, 2 coats of topcoat over the 2 days and refitted last night

looks much tidier already, hopefully it won't rust anymore

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back