Painting metal ... over 'rust killer'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am touching up my old bike, having been spurred on by finding some 'Loctite Rust Remedy' in my fathers toolbox.

I know I should really strip down the whole bike, then do all the frame, but for the time being, decided just to paint the seat tube and the two chain stays, the areas where there was rust.

I have removed the paint and sanded everything down.

I painted on the rust killer and the steel has turned dark blue, as it is supposed to.

Now I want to paint it, but not sure..

(1)how long to wait after applying the rust killer

(2)whether or not I should wash the bike again, say with white spirit before painting.

I want to paint it white, so am I right in assuming smooth Hammerite would be the best paint to use ?

Are there any other alternative paints.

Because I don't have all the relevant tools, I have decided not to remove most of the fittings, so will use a brush rather than spray paint.

Any advice would be appreciated and I thank you in anticipation

Sponsored Links
Follow the instructions (usually overnight) then wipe down to remove any grease then overpaint.

I would avoid Hammerite. Some inexperienced painters think it is great, but it is very difficult to repaint over it, and rust can continue to grow under its surface.

You can paint over Kurust as soon as it is dry, normally a couple of hours unless there are nooks and crannies.

Do not put water on the metal before fully repainting it.

I'd recommend a metal-preservative primer, followed by ordinary undercoat and gloss in a household range. Spirit based, not water based. Two thin coats are better than one thick. Very light sanding between coats is all you need, with a fine paper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back