Rusted Garage RSJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a garage and water has leaked in and caused the RSJ to rust and flake. An old woman had the house before I did and never maintained it. The RSJ have been exposed to some damp conditions. I think the Garage has been built in late 70 s.

Anyone have any idea how long RSJ last in such conditions. Would I be able to remove the flaking and coat them. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Would suggest cleaning the rust up with a wire brush or drill attachment. Inspect, use a suitable rust cure and then prime and paint.

All depends on condition but difficult to gauge without photos

I once athletically jumped up and started chinning on an old iron I-section beam. The web I was hanging on was so rusty it broke off.

Another good test is to poke it, hard, with an old screwdriver. It must not penetrate.

If the beam was unpainted with new, and has suffered years of condensation or roof leaks, it could be unsafe by now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back