Rusted in UPVC window handle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I have been trying to replace an old window upvc window lock.
I have managed the others but on one window, I can't pull the handle off after removing the screws but the handle won't pull off the window.

My guess is, the square bar has rusted to the lock and handle, "bonding" the 3 all together.
I squirted wd40 between the handle and its plate, and also through the retaining screw holes to try and release them.
Any other ideas? I've just done the WD40 so could leave it over the weekend to let it get to work

Sponsored Links
Yeah I've come across the same, the spindles just rusted into the mechanism, I bet it's the bathroom? A few good sideways jolts or a bash with a hammer can help loosen it too otherwise it's wd40 and wait

Yep it's bathroom. I took the opening window off to give it a few good well aimed sideways bash, but still firmly attached.. Didn't want break anything
Will just keep wd40ing it and see how it goes

Sponsored Links
I would suggest using a penetrating oil like "Plus Gas" (available at most car accessory shops) in preference to WD40. Plus Gas has more of a searching action and is formulated to help break down rust/corrosion between components.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back