Problems after fitting new window handles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
After living in our house for a year, we noticed we havnt got any keys for the locking window handles (upvc window frames with 1 handle in the middle). So off i went to B&Q and bought a load. After fitting the new handles (and binning the old handles) i noticed the locking things (that move side to side when moving the handle) now catch's on the window frame, making it harder for my partner to open and shut the window. All i done was remove the 2 screws and pull the old handles off, slide the new handle in and replace the 2 screws. Were did i go wrong?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
When you say catching, whats catchimg. Locking mechanism or frame and lock. changing handle's should have made no difference. What style of opener is the window. Is it a top opener or side opener and you have pushed/pulled down on the handles. Gentle tap back up bottom of casement with a rubber hammer.

Try wd40 on all the hinges, changing handles should not make the latches catch on frame, more likely hinges are partially seized.The new handles may have more travel in them causes latches to miss align but they can be adjusted on the frame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back