uPVC window catch won't shut, getting draughty!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The handle on the uPVC window in the house I've just moved into won't turn. The window doesn't form a seal against the frame so it is getting cold in here! I've noticed that there's a small metal pin sticking out of the handle fitting. On another (working) window in the house, this metal pin is flush with the handle fitting. Here are some pics for comparison:
Bad window:
View media item 56517Good window:
View media item 56518
What is this metal pin? Is it kind of safety catch? If so, how do I release it?

If the pin isn't the problem, how can I get this window to close properly? There are no screws to undo the handle. The locking mechanism seems to be via two sliding bolts.

Thanks for reading!

Sponsored Links
WD40 on the moving parts hasn't helped.

Can anyone at least advise me how to seal the gap between the window and the frame to keep the heat in?

Try tapping the pin fully into the handle. It's used to secure the handle to the spindle.

Sponsored Links
The pin won't move and I suspect that the window's moving parts have rusted beyond salvation and need to be replaced.

In the meantime I have taped up the window with cardboard...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back