uPVC window stuck fast: sheared gears?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The small upper window in my bedroom is stuck fast and won't open.
It is uPVC and has a standard handle:

http://www.window-handles.com/espag-window-handles.html

The handle seems to be OK, including the handle lock. It's just that the spindle of the handle will not release the window's multi-point locking mechanism. So even after removing the handle I could not turn the lock mechanism.

Looks like the previous owner of the house forced things and maybe sheared something in the locking mechanism.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
these are a bit of a bugger! remove the handle and see where the square bar fits into, somtimes that bit splits and the square bar simply spins round in it, if you are lucky you might be able to turn it with a large flat bladed screwdriver. If not and its only locked on one side somtimes de glazing the window and bumping it with your hand can sometimes work the shoot bolt loose, if both sides are locked in, you may have to drill a hole down where the glass usually sits till u reach the locking mechanisn and try and free it manually, be warned though that usually meaans replacing the whole sash.

Thanks for your reply.
Presumably if something is split in the mechanism, it will all need replacing anyway.

If I eventually get the window open, do the lock mechanisms drop out easily?
I don't want to be in the situation where I manage to get the window open, then not be able to lock it!.

Mike

The locks just unscrew and are easy to replace, if they are espag locks a crow bar under the sash, from outside should pop it open, (barred off the cill) try it glazed first.

The plastic is flexible but not indestructible! if it doesnt go glazed try unglazed.

Hope you sort it out, locks are available from screw fix or local window manufacturers.

Sponsored Links
>The locks just unscrew and are easy to replace, if they are espag locks a crow bar under the sash, from outside should pop it open, (barred off the cill) try it glazed first.<

I might have a go at this. But I could cause a bit of damage with a crow bar if I'm not careful.
The locking bolts are at the side of the window. Rotating the handle should release the bolts and drop them into the frame.

Michael

Sounds like shoot bolts, so a crowbar will just destruct your window.

Deglaze the window, locate where the shootbolt extends from, and drill into the profile until you reach it. Use a ground down screwdriver to manually work it back (first ensuring the handle is in the open position). Once extracted - open, replace, seal the hole with silicon, reglaze - job done.

If your not confident in any of the above - call someone who is. It'll work out a lot cheaper than buying a new glazed unit.

Thanks.
I took the handle off and tried to rotate the spindle socket with a screwdriver. But the whole mechanism seems to be floating. Something has sheared off somewher, I think.

Mike

Yep no point baring if shoot bolts are fitted (best locks for downstairs windows)

Drill from inside when you have de-glazed where the glass sits so you dont see the holes.

Good luck!

Is there a topic in this forum that describes how to remove and/or fit double glazing panels?

Thanks
Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back