UPVC windows with no locks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of the UPVC windows have no locks on them at all (not even locking handles).

The windows I'm referring to are the two small windows on the ground floor lounge window.

And also the two on the upstairs bedroom window.

I estimate each one is about 50cm x 20cm (ish).

Is it a case of replacing each one if I wanted a proper locking mechanism? If so will it be expensive?

Or should I just get locking handles and leave it at that?

This is my first house so I've never had to consider window locks before.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sponsored Links
I don't know, but start by posting photos of the existing handles, and the latching/locking mechanism of the edge of the window.

There are no locking mechanisms on the window at all from what I can feel/see. The handles just twist down to hold the window shut.

I will get some photos tomorrow.

So your saying then even with the handles down in the locked position the window still pushes open? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Probably no opening sash as the windows are to small to have a locking mechanism

A couple of them are cockspurs(I checked on google images), but have absolutely no locking mechanism on the handle, I'm used to ones where you have a key lock.

A couple aren't, I 'think' they lock the window when you twist them (as in you can't push it open anymore) but I'd have to double check and take pictures. Again, they don't have any key locking mechanism on the handles.

I really need to get pictures but haven't been over to the house yet today. I will update with pictures as soon as I have some (either tonight or tomorrow)

This is the lounge:

Also the lounge:

This is the front bedroom:

I checked the locking mechanism on the actual window frames. The handles power two metal cylinders that move left and right as you twist the handle. Is it just a case of changing the handles or security wise is it worth getting better locks? As for the windows with cockspur handles again, is it worth replacing the windows for better locks/security? How much do things like that cost?

Thanks for all your help.

you can certainly change the handles for ones with integral cylinder locks. Measure one of the handles for the screw-hole distance and screw size, and take it off to measure the square shaft behind.

It is unlikely someone will go to the trouble of smashing through a locked window to burgle you. There are plenty of people who leave their windows open and their doors unlocked, and your burglar will prefer to go there unless he knows you have taken all your gold out of the bank for a wedding.

I find it is useful to put a cup-hook behind the curtain, high up and out of sight, but within an adult's reach, and keep the key there.

If you take a picture of the locking mechanism on the edge of the window, someone will recognise it, but I doubt it is worth trying to change or replace it unless broken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back