Rusted screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hi,

I am keen to replace the shower door (above bath) in my bathroom but the screws a rusted and I think need drilling out. Can anyone advise on how I can get these screws out without breaking the tiling behind the? I have read various guides and most suggest using a drill bit designed for metal and drilling into the screw. The screws seem so small that I would need a very fine drill bit, and the how do I get them out once I have drilled? Or does anyone have any better suggestions?

Sponsored Links
I would try breaking up the plastic fitting, then grip the screws with a pair of mole grips.

Can't you use Oxalic acid to remove/eat rust - if you can find a way to pack a bit of kitchen roll soaked in oxalic acid it might do the trick. failing that a screw extractor kit (screwfix etc) is what you'll need if you don't want to attack the plastic fitting.

Sponsored Links
You never know, the screws may just oblige, if you use a good unworn screwdriver.....
If they don't, drill the heads off to release the plastic part, then try mole grips.
If you are replacing the door, try to hide the position of the old screws with the new one.
John :)

If you have a soldering iron, and touch the head to the tip, the heat tends to break rust and loosen the screw as it expands, then shrinks as it cools.

Yes, it is essential to use the correct screwdriver.

If the screwhead is worn, a rubber band will take up a bit of slack.

BTW
get stainless screw for next time.

Last edited:
Sounds like a tip from B. Bucknell Esq, that one......
If the OP is still around, use a new screwdriver, bray it in with a hammer, press like hell and turn......it'll either move or shear off.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back