rusting radiator

ds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

need advice on how i can stop/prevent my bathroom radiator rusting from the bottom.

it was replaced about 3 years ago due to a leak from the bottom because of rust, and now it's heading that way again.

pls help.

cheers

ds

Sponsored Links
Not a lot you can do, condensation in bathrooms and kitchens causes the rust...........have a you got a decent extractor fan in the bathroom?

You could try painting it as the original factory coating is not very resistant in damp areas.

Hope its not next to the toilet as I could say something else aswell :)

You could try painting it as the original factory coating is not very resistant in damp areas.

Hope its not next to the toilet as I could say something else aswell :)

Sponsored Links
I picked up some radiator enamel paint at the weekend to tackle the same problem in my bathroom. Also got a few scratched rads arpind the house that could do with touching up.

I will post again after I have done the job.

If you are painting a radiator for protection, you can do a much better job by taking it off the wall first. Then you can rub it down lightly with wire wool; apply Kurust on any rusty patches after rubbing off the surface; apply an anti-corrosive primer before your topcoat.

It is impossible to paint the bottom and back of a radiator when it is fixed.

Also, I presume that if your rad is getting rusty, it must be cold enough to get condensation on it (or does someone hang wet towels on it?)

Have a look at the Wiki/building/condensation thread and see if you can improve anything there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back