rusty airvent on my radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, the air vent on one of my radiators has become quite rusty, as shown in the photo below.

Appreciate for advices on what sort of things has gone wrong with my heating system? or if there is any diy job that I can do to get rid of the rust? many thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
it looks to have been leaking, 5min job to remove and reseal/replace bleed plug.. while ya got it out if ya clean it up a bit ya could buy some radiator touch up paint aswell ;)

thank you very much for your reply. if possible , do you mind giving me some tips or ste-by-step guide on how to re-seal it?

If you can, buy one with a rubber seal on it, just tighten it up. Probably you'll have to buy brass ones and get some PTFE tape (or '12 wrap'), wrap this 12 times (now you know why ;) ) around the thread (anticlockwise as you look at the bleed valve) and tighten....

You prob know you have to drain down your radiator/system first right?

Sponsored Links
I doubt if you will have to buy one. Just ask in a local plumbers merchants if they have any spare. Usually the rad manufacturers give them loads for the times that they miss them out when packing the radiators.

My local PC always has loads that I get my hands on.

turn off the rad using the rad valves at either side and i use a rubble bag with a towel to catch the water as i unscrew the plug (ya should only get a bit of water out as long as the rad valves arnt passing). then either fit a new plug which comes with a new o-ring or wrap a bit of ptfe around the old un, open the rad valves and bleed then check pressure if its on a sealed sys

many thanks to you all for your replies.

I certainly shall try it out on the radiator this weekend.

Would it be advisable to add any anti-inhibitor into the radiator while the radiator is open? If so, what brand and how much can I add? At the moment, the clear water is coming out of bleed plug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back