Radiators gone rusty (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am sceptical about how many people ever get a successful claim for a rusty radiator, and let's face it that must be the main thing that goes wrong on them.
I suspect most people never claim anyway, partly because they may not have the receipt (it may well have been fitted by a plumber) and partly because they are cynical about how easily the radiator manufacturer will pay up.
We had our bathroom renovated about 7 years ago and the radiator is already rusting despite having a "10 year warranty". All along the bottom and (worse) on the corner near the loo, for obvious reasons....
I am thinking of having a stainless radiator (a radiator not a towel rail) fitted as I suspect all radiators in bathrooms rust pretty quickly. I was surprised to hear the plumber I often use (for bigger more complicated jobs) has never fitted a stainless radiator. I know they are much more expensive but I'd have thought it'd be worth it in a bathroom, particularly as they look good as well > increase the value of ones house !

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
My thoughts also; I replaced the bathroom radiator twice in my last house due to rust forming along the bottom edge. This time I've gone for a chrome one in the hope that it might last a bit longer.
Is Chrome better then paint ? Surely it still rusts ? And if it does it cannot then be painted either.
I'd have thought stainless would be the way to go.

We had our bathroom renovated about 7 years ago and the radiator is already rusting despite having a "10 year warranty". All along the bottom and (worse) on the corner near the loo, for obvious reasons....

All, except one of my radiators are 40 plus years old, no leaks, no rust. and all just painted steel - one the one in the bathroom is right next to the toilet, how do you account for that?

The one radiator which was replaced, was not replaced due to an issue with the radiator - rather it needed to be replaced by a shorter one, to allow a stairlift to be installed.

Sponsored Links
All, except one of my radiators are 40 plus years old, no leaks, no rust. and all just painted steel - one the one in the bathroom is right next to the toilet, how do you account for that?

The one radiator which was replaced, was not replaced due to an issue with the radiator - rather it needed to be replaced by a shorter one, to allow a stairlift to be installed.
I have just checked all the rads in our house and none of them have much rust on them (apart from the much newer one in the bathroom). However, the house was built in the 70s and I suspect they are from that era. Which points to them being manufactured / painted better ? Stuff these days is often crap, I'm in the aerial trade (retail) and I know for a fact that's true, try bending the elements on cheap aerials, particularly X beam types. Bacofoil or what.
I still think a stainless rad in the bathroom is worth having though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back