Stainless Steel Radiator for Bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help...
About 6 months ago, I purchased a (quite pricey) Reina Brushed Stainless steel 300 x 1500 radiator for the bathroom (with a 25 year warranty). It is a designer type radiator, we don't need a towel rail. After just 6 months it started to show surface rust (where it got spashed with water).

The radiator isn't in a place where is gets wet normally but obviously you are going to get the odd splash now and then. The bathroom is also very well ventalated.

So, I made a warranty claim and i recieved a replacement. Unfortunately the replacement lasted just a few days!!! Only after 4 days it started showing considerable rusting anywhere it got slightly splash (this was over last weekend which was a heatwave). I obviously complained and got a immediate refund.

I am now looking for a replacement.

Questions....

1) How the heck can a Stainless steel radiator with a 25 year warranty rust so quick?

2) Any idea of which brands I can look at now as a replacement that will actually not rust?

Sponsored Links
Ask the supplier, the grade of SS can't be that good then. Stainless Steel shouldn't show signs of rust, especially that quickly unless it's really bad quality or there's something in the water. Pee is a bad one for Rads and can rust them really quickly.

Sponsored Links
If stainless steel is rapidly rusting after being wetted then I'd suggest someone has rubbed the surface with steel wool or used a 'brushing' machine that has been used on mild steel. This not an uncommon problem where particles of mild steel become embedded into the surface then appear very quickly as rust spots.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back