Radiator gone rusty within 2 years.. can I claim from manufacturer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I purchased a set of 4 radiators as part of a central heating system replacement.

System was powerflushed and had inhibitor added as per the spec of the boiler's manufacturer.

However, one of the radiators fitted has got quite rusty at the bottom as has developed a very small weeping leak.

I think the manufacturer offers a warranty above the 2 years ive had the rad. Has anyone here claimed for fault like this?

Also are the manufacturer liable for the cost of getting a plumber to fit the new one if their original one has had a fault?

Sponsored Links
Depends, you need to check out the manufacturers warranty and what that covers. Every one is different.

That being said, a lot of manufacturers have at least 5 years warranty on them for workmanship but that's usually location dependent. i.e if it's located in a high moisture area then warranty period would be reduced. Would need to contact them to confirm.

My thoughts also; I replaced the bathroom radiator twice in my last house due to rust forming along the bottom edge. This time I've gone for a chrome one in the hope that it might last a bit longer.

Sponsored Links
In the kitchen. Very similar rad (just a diff size) in our bathroom that is exposed to more moisture but issue not happening there.

Been in contact with manufacturer, they have asked me to get in touch with the plumbing supply store I bought it from to sort out.

Contacted Plumbing supply store I bought it from.

They will refund me if I bring it back to them, or i can order a replacement and them refund me when i bring the old one back.

Wondered if I had any argument of loss of £ due to having to get it installed again.

If you believe that the radiator was inherently faulty when you bought it, then yes you probably are allowed to claim for consequential losses. But their offer to replace it may not be an admission that it was faulty when sold. If you try to get them to pay for the installation and they don't want to, then they might argue that the rust is not the result of an inherent fault. It would then be up to you to prove that it was.

I think that you are very lucky that they will replace it at all!

With these kind of things its virtually impossible to scientifically prove that there was any manufacturing defect with the radiator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back