Rusting new radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I had changed 2 radiators in my bathroom in the last two years for same reason. I had a Biasi radiator two years ago that started to rust at the bottom. It was under warranty. I asked the reatailer to give me my money back. The retailer (after some hassle ) wouldn't do that but agreed swop for a new one.

I felt uneasy about Biasi. I didn't fit it but bought a new one (Stelrad) thinking Quality British company and made in UK. Today on a routine inspection I spotted paint peeling off under neath the radiator. It's gone rusty. Its outside it's warranty.

I have noticed that the enamel is sprayed onto bare metal. Same as Biasi raditor. Is this common practice or are the manufacturers exercising cost cutting measure. I would have thought they would have primed the radiators before spraying enamel. Is it you can pay mega money and get cheap rubbish or buy cheap rubbish. To compare both Biasi and stelrad they look identical apart from side and top sheilds.

What can I do to remedy this problem.

Sponsored Links
Yep, that`s the finish you get..but they used to be in off-white Primer only :evil: .Mine`s the same...touch up with radiator paint from DIY store

meldrew's_mate said:
Do you cover them with sopping wet towels?

Hi "meldew's_mate"

Yup the kids put wet towels on the radiator. Also there is excessive condensation when bathing or showering. The extractor fan works. I guess its the poor quality of radiators.

I have again compared the radiators they are exactly the same. I wonder if stelrad are doing what they they did in textile industry. Buy cheap radiators from Biasi and re package them as their own. I think this it.

Sponsored Links
Most radiators will rust if water condenses onto them. It is common and usually occurs along the bottom edge of rad where the water collects and where the rad is cooler.

Solutions? Improve ventilation (centrifugal extractor fan?), keep radiator warm (condensation will occur on coldest surfaces available - usually single glazed window) and fit towel rail type radiator (based on brass tube?) that is suitable for a damp environment.

weareleeds...i was going to mention that but i am a big girl.

Seriously though you may well be right. I once suggested it to a customer (as carefully as you can suggest such a thing). she lost the plot and said she had never been so insulted in her life. :eek: She didn't give me chance to say that i meant her husband or sons. :eek:
I was out on my ear sharpish :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back