Rusty barbecue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to remove quite a lot of rust from a barbecue. What is the best way to do this? As obviously a wire brush will only remove so much.

Has any one had any experience of using rust converter on a barbecue...Is it safe to use for this purpose.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
depends what sort / age of bbq. if its like ours (from Q & B,with wheels) we find rust adds to the flavour, if i try and remove it the bbq will colapse

breezer said:
depends what sort / age of bbq. if its like ours (from Q & B,with wheels) we find rust adds to the flavour, if i try and remove it the bbq will colapse

I eat enough rubish from the barbecue. So I dont really want to ingest rust aswell :LOL:

The barbecue is gas. It is only a year old. And the grills are extremeley heavy duty.

Sponsored Links
Mantastic said:
Hi

Has any one had any experience of using rust converter on a barbecue...Is it safe to use for this purpose.

Thanks

No I shouldn't think it would be as many are acid based and may subsequently affect food. Just get off what you can and use a VHT (very high temperature) paint, available from auto shops, where necessary and the heat of the BBQ should take care of the rest.

We are talking about what you eat here. I would be wary about using rust removers, hammerite etc. Rust, Iron Oxide(Fe2O3) not particularly harmful esp if brushed off with a stiff wire brush, but I think Hammerite contains Xylene which is carcinogenic, I know what I would do. Breezer's handle is right, be safe :LOL: .

My personal opinion with barbecues, although I doubt everyone shares this opinion, is that it doesn't matter if they are a bit rusty or dirty.

If there is so much rust that you are worried about the structural integrity of it then I don't think rust converter/hammerite or anything will do any good. Removing the rust will leave you with a thinner bit of metal than you started with. Thin metal + heat is not good when the metal is all that is preventing your coals landing onto your sandled feet.

If it is just for aesthetics, then be a real man and show your barbecue is a battle-proven old wardog. People will respect you for it. I nearly lost all respect for a friend of mine when 20 minutes after we finished eating him and his fiancee removed parts of the barbecue AND WASHED THEM!!! :eek: And instead of sitting around the barbecue to keep us warm in the garden until late into the evening, drinking, talking and burning stuff, they put the hose on it (which will probably lead to premature degredation of the barbecue, I might add!) :mad:

Even the vegetarian I had with me accepted that washing a barbecue grill is a heinous crime and should be cleansed only through the fire that will soon die down to cook the food, and the wire brush that removes all bits of crud that show themselves as too weak to remain as part of the barbecue.

It's not a way to cook food, it is a continuation of pagan rites that have existed since the dawn of time. :D

I agree, let the flames sterilize anything nasty on the metal, the other muck you're suggesting is far worse........ probably ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back