Rusty Fence Nails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently put up some fencing using annular nails I thought would be fine based on a few Toolstation reviews. I should have checked it out properly as most have rusted within days of finishing the job. I painted the fence with cuprinol ducksback and at first it covered the nail heads but didn't last. I've since knocked in the nail heads and coated again, which looked fine for about a day but the rust is showing again. Are there any rust prevention products I can touch up the nail heads with that will then take a coat of the cuprinol? The other thing I've thought of doing is filling in the holes and overpainting, but that feels like a lot of work on around 70 slats.

Attachments

• 20221021_142232.jpg
    20221021_142232.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 74
Sponsored Links
If you want no rust at all then you need stainless steel nails. Filler will just delay the rust appearing, as the rust will build up under the filler, and a while later the rust will peek through or break the filler and its adhesion to the wood.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back