Rusty Water in new bath standpipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have recently done up the bathroom with a new traditional slipper bath together with standpipe. When I used it for the first time, it came out with rusty water to my surprise as it is a brand new one. I'd appreciate for any advice or suggestion as to why this happened and how to prevent it happening again. I'll try to describe the situation as much detail as I can.

I had a plumber come who did the inspection, he is certain that it is caused by the 'faulty' stand pipe, however, when I contacted the company I bought from, they claimed that it shouldn't be and they haven't seen it in the past at all – the pipe is made from steel but copper coated, normally it would last 40 years. The manufacturer is Carron, and supposed to have high quality.

It is a chrome tap with standpipe. The rusty part seems to be in the standpipe but not the tap.

The water pipe itself is new copper tube. New shower and basin also installed in same time with no issue. Therefore I don’t think it has anything to do with the water pipe itself.

If I kept the water running, then it becomes clean after a few minutes. However, it becomes rusty overnight.

It happens to both hot and cold water (separate taps)

The seller said that it may be caused by the plumbing design, though he has not been able to tell me exactly what he means by that.

Thanks, Jerry

Sponsored Links
If you did not have rusty water before and the rest of the house plumbing is unchanged, I would say it's got to be the standpipe at a guess it's one or all of the following causing it; the pipe coating is faulty the plumber damaged it, or the pipe was cut to length and that has exposed the steel inner at the end.

During the 60's & 70's due to Rhodesia's (now Zimbabwe) Unilateral Declaration of Independence copper was in very short supply, so steel tube was plated with copper to protect it and allow soldering, but as soon as it was cut the ends started to rust away, a complete disaster. Sounds like it might be a similar problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back