S plan hot water problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Have an S plan wiring plan for heating and hot water , the hot water will only work when the heating is on and the room stat turned up.

The mid position valve accuator does not move at all when I select hot water at the programmer.

Wiring all seems correct , a plumber recently changed the motor for the Hot water valve to no avail.

Does anybody know what the problem might be?

Sponsored Links
You surely mean you have Y-Plan if you have a mid-position valve? S-Plan is 2 or more valves.

Do the rads get hot when the thermostat is up to and firing hot water?

You could well have a stuck valve, did the plumber not check this?

Have you checked your wiring to the Y-Plan diagram? I guess not if you thought it was S-Plan

full

Yeah sounds like a stuck valve, normally quite easyish to replace and better to do it in summer! Take a photo of it as some are normally a stock item at most plumbers merchants

A Y plan doesn't need the motor to move for HW. As HW is the default unpowered state.

So something is preventing the boiler working. Eg the HW stat on cylinder.

Sponsored Links
I will guess on the micro switch in the motorised valve. I had same problem with daughters system. The wiring diagram is not much help. I was working with this
Central-heating.bmp
wiring diagram which shows a single switch inside the valve, on opening however I found multi-switches which to be fair did the same as diagram shows, but using a meter to fault find results were not as expected. I found I could buy the head separate to valve and swapping head cured the problem.

It seemed the problem existed when my daughter bought the house, however some one had latched the motorised valve into the bleeding position so everything seemed to work, actually every time it called for hot water it warmed the radiators, but no one had noticed that, my son-in-law decided to clean the airing cupboard and in doing so knocked the bleeding lever which then returned to where it should have been which then made it so they knew there was a problem.

Clearly not a cure, but it is good to know latching the leaver will make it so it only runs long enough to heat water, the radiators in her house were not on long enough to get hot, they just got warm, hence why not noticed until he knocked the bleeding lever. (Not swearing it was lever for bleeding)

First you need to be certain what system you have.

Have an S plan

OK you say you have an S Plan

The mid position valve actuator

but a mid position valve is associated with a Y Plan

a plumber recently changed the motor for the Hot water valve

Now we are back to S Plan

So which is it?

Y plan has something like this with 3 pipe connections

S plan has two (or more) of something like this with 2 pipe connections

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back