Heating working but no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I changed a 3 way valve over for a mate (im a sparky not a plumber!). For some reason the valve moves to the correct position when the buttons are pressed (i.e. moves to 'h' when heating is pressed, etc) but for some reason the boiler and pump only kick in when heating is selected. apparently he's never been able to get a hot bath but could have hot water for the kitchen sink.

Any help here pls folks?

Sponsored Links
Is this a fully pumped system, or gravity?

Some programmers have a link that you have to move to match the system type otherwise DHW only heats when CH is on.

Sponsored Links
I had the same. On stripping head I found more switches than shown in diagram and one had gone faulty.

Temp cure there is a leaver for bleeding which can be latched in mid position this allowed central heating to continue working while I got replacement head. Domestic hot water overheats in Winter and radiators get warm in summer if left that way but good temp measure while you get new head. Whole valves are easy to pick up but heads often need ordering.

What make of valve are you using??

Personally the plumbers I use all use Honeywell (we all prefer them) and I also try and get them to convert it to a 'S' plan using 2 x 2 port valves. If you do this it gives you maximum flexibility as it does not need to priortise Hot water - you can have H/W, C/H or both at the same time!!

Also Honeywell valves have a manual override lever which will open the valve, but not operate the microswitch...

IMO Sunvic and Drayton valves are rubbish

Assuming you understand what each of the controls does in your system, and which wires are involved in the process, things should be quite simple, a typical 3 port valve needs the following things:

Earth
Neutral
Central Heating On Feed
Hot Water On Feed
Hot Water Off Feed
Boiler/Pump Live or,
in most modern systems, Boiler Ignite Feed, Pump supply being dealt with by the boiler (the boiler having a permanant live feed).

As to which forum this post belongs to, its not easy, most electrician's wont touch it, neither will most plumbers, I'm not after over-diversification in the DIYnot forums, as things just get too complex, so here is the right place, sort-of.

maybe a make and model of the valve, and even a photo of the connections you've used would help us to solve it for you..

The 3 port valve only supplies power to the system when CH is asked for, after moving the motor fully across, or mid position for CH & HW.

When only HW is called for, the power comes from the cylinder stat and the valve just returns to the HW resting position via the spring return.

Sounds like a classic wiring fault, fault, or maybe the valve body jammed. Did you check the spindle to see if it could turn?

As posted above, check the programmer has HW on & HW off connected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back