heating works but no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I changed a 3 way valve over for a mate (im a sparky not a plumber!). For some reason the valve moves to the correct position when the buttons are pressed (i.e. moves to 'h' when heating is pressed, etc) but for some reason the boiler and pump only kick in when heating is selected. apparently he's never been able to get a hot bath but could have hot water for the kitchen sink.

Any help here pls folks?

Sponsored Links
Why did you change the valve?
What valve was in originally?
What colour wires were they?
How many wires were there?

Was the problem existing?

Would you do it again ;)

power goes from programmer HW On to 'com' on cylinder stat. Out of stat 'not satisfied terminal' and joins up with the orange wire from 3 port valve to light boiler.
There is also a 'satisfied terminal' on stat with wire to the 'grey' of valve.
Sounds as though your problem is wiring to/from cylinder stat or the stat itself.

needed new valve and pump according to plumber.

i only touched the valve wires i was changing, they're different colours to the old ones and theres one less wire (5 not 6) - apparently they dont make them valves anymore! the new one is a honeywell... iv got the orange as a live feeding the pump, blue neutral, earth earth, just grey and white left which iv connected into the 2 boxes which come live when heating is switched on.

i think there may be a problem with the control panel because when i put my meters on the junction box to see which come live when hot water was selected none did, but 2 come live when i switched heating on. i tried nearly every combination of grey white and orange in all posistions and i could only get the boiler to fire up when the heating was wired up.

what was th 6th wire on the old valve for? can they be changed to 5 wire valves??

Sponsored Links
Was it blue in colour and did it have 'Switchmaster' written on it :LOL:
(the old one)

ok cheerz for help so far :)

well thats a relief they are adaptable, but still bit too late as iv already removed the old one!

am i right by sending the orange to the feed the pump? then that just leaves me to find out right combo of white/grey. but that doesnt explain why the boiler only kicked in when heatin was selected

ok cheerz for help so far :)

well thats a relief they are adaptable, but still bit too late as iv already removed the old one!

am i right by sending the orange to the feed the pump? then that just leaves me to find out right combo of white/grey. but that doesnt explain why the boiler only kicked in when heatin was selected

Normally pump and boiler but depends what boiler you have.

The roomstat feeds the white wire, this powers the motor up to mid position.
The 'grey' is fed from two sources. One is the 'satisfied terminal' of the cyinder stat. Obviously it can't make the grey live if HW is not on, so there is also direct wire from programmers HW OFF terminal.
The 'grey' when live takes over where the white left off (micro switch no 1) During the last stage of travel micro switch no 2 is triggered and diverts power out through the orange wire to supply boiler/pump

It might pay you to get a decent wiring centre with colour codes and instructions and start again. It'll probably be easier than getting instructions from a forum ;)
We don't know what wires you've removed or where from.
Start again or you'll get in a right mess.

Contact me via my email in my profile and I will email you a Honeywell wiring guide.

HEY ALL, thanks for the replies. The cylinder stat was wired to nowhere! moved it to feed the boiler and pump, job done. was wired wrong to begin with!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back