S-plan wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have wired a glow worm bolier up which has permanent live, and switch live in boiler....

At junction box in airing cupboard i wired pump into the switch live of the valves and is all working as expected.

About 6mnths after install the plumber has contacted and said that because i have not coonected pump to the L,N,CPC of plug that comes out of bottom of boiler this is causing boiler to overheat causing fault codes.

Is this plausable as i have not heard of this before and have done a fair few s-plan heatings now

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Some boilers have pump run-on which allows excess heat to be pumped away from the boiler when firing had ceased.

If the boiler has output terminals for the pump you must wire the pump via the boiler.
The way you have wired it means the pump will only come on when the valve sends the output to the boiler to fire. When the boiler cuts out when it reaches temperature the water still sitting in the heat exchanger will give out enough heat to cause the cut out in the boiler to operate. If you wire the pump via the pump output of the boiler the pump will continue to run after the boiler cuts out until the water temperature hsa dropped enough not to trigger the temp cut out on the boiler.

Sponsored Links
Good replies above.

Be careful, not using the pump over run connection can cause the heat exchanger to over heat and crack, and the manufacturer won't cover it under their warranty because it's been incorrectly installed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back