Sack Truck / Trolley / Barrow - are cheap ones any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, they go by a lot of names! But I don't have one... I've got some large flat rocks to move in the garden though, and there have been other times that I wished I'd had one to hand. So I'm in the market...

It won't get a lot of use though and so I don't want to spend more than I have to. But are these cheapos to be avoided at all costs? Or has anyone used/got one and found them to be ok?

Thoughts appreciated.

Many thanks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325KG-St...rt-Trolley-Cart/223565461849?var=522311426429

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/600lb-He...rolley-With-Pneumatic-Tyre-Wheel/402610954963

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Yep they'll be fine for home use.
It's the wheels that will eventually fail. Tyres and inner tubes fall apart, punctures, bearings.
Defiantly get the puncture proof (solid) wheels, although not as good to wheel about.

Thanks @scbk

You mean the totally solid wheels? So the wheels in both them links would be no good I guess? One says puncture proof but I *think* is still full of air.

Cheers

The solid wheels on these tend to be on the skinny side. If you are moving heavy rocks about in your garden, they may well sink into the grass/soil. Pneumatic tyres may be better for you. How about using a wheelbarrow?

Sponsored Links
Solid wheels are ok for moving things around on solid factory floors but in the garden, I'd go for pneumatic tyres.

Great replies - thank you.

OK, I'll go with puncture proof pneumatic tyres. I think it will see most use outdoors over the years. But some indoor use too. For example, I've got an old wood stove I'm hoping to sell (or at least move to an out building). And I'll be making my own concrete speaker stands at some point it he future. So a bit of both, but mostly outdoor use.

Whether it will be as useful as I'm hoping, I don't know. But for some items I don't think I could lift them high enough to get them into a wheelbarrow, whereas I with a sack trolley I could shimmy it onto the plate without the need to lift. That's the plan anyhow!

Thanks again.

EDIT - good thinking Nige. Although I did use that once in a bike tyre but it made it impossible to pump it up thereafter!

I have had one for at least 8 years, had to pump up the tyres a couple of times. Been used to move all sorts including a wood burner that 3 of us couldn't even lift. Got mine from machine mart, a similar model now is £35.

Pneumatic every time, even on solid floors. They take the jar out of any bumps you go over, are very forgiving when pushed/pulled across a wooden floor or carpet and not really much chance of a puncture if the area is clear of broken glass and nails/screws etc.
Look for one where you can split the wheel hubs by removing 3 or 4 through bolts. If you do get a puncture then you split the wheel hub instead of trying to lever off the tyre which is a right bitch! I had to do one a few weeks ago and re-punctured the tyre trying to get it over the rim. Next time I'll take the damn thing to a tyre repair place!
The other truck had bolted wheel hubs which simply split apart, tube out, repair, tuck back inside the tyre, push one flange against the side of the tyre, hold the other side in place and re-fit the nuts and bolts. Tighten up, pop back on axle and put cotter pin through hole. Job done in less than half the time and no pinched fingers getting the tyre back on.

Secret of demounting tires is to pinch the beads together so they go into the well at 180° to where your levering the bead over the rim. Unless you get an older thick wall one, wheelbarrows on the whole , tend to on quite loose ive found.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back