Bedroom toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First, I should warn that unless you have experience of autism you may find my post a little baffling, however I wanted to share this because it's quite possibly been my most successful DIY project ever in terms of effort expended/cost vs reward. This will seem like a bit of a botch, but I've been thinking about the design for some time.

A few months ago my son decided he didn't want to go to the bathroom unaccompanied. This is obviously a pain during the day, with the family drawing lots over who has to go with him, but at least it's manageable. It's something else at night, and is seriously interfering with our attempts to get him out of nappies. It generally falls to my wife to get up a few times in the course of a night to go with him. Sometimes it feels like having a newborn again even though he's 6.

So I reasoned that if he could get up and walk to our room, then all we need to do is to have a toilet en-route and he can just go there. Note: we moved him into the ensuite room, that didn't work as he's still too scared to even go next door to his bedroom, so it really has to be on his way to our room.

I could leave a potty out for him. Unfortunately they don't hold much p*ss. And I don't like the idea that he may kick it over as he's stumbling around half-awake, so that wasn't going to work. What I needed was something sturdy, that really needed some effort to kick over. Something a bit like a toilet, but obviously I didn't want to buy a real toilet and bolt it to the floor, so I came up with the following.

I had some off-cuts of 18mm caber-floor which I used for the base, back and sides, although any chipboard could be used, perhaps an old kitchen unit. This arrangement is pretty heavy. He'd struggle to lift it let alone tip it over. I screwed this together with 50mm screws to form a box exactly the same width as a standard Wickes bucket with the carrying handle removed (actually slightly smaller so it was a snug fit. The height of the box was exactly the height of the bucket. I used an off-cut of Wickes stud at the back (£2.99 for 2.4m) just to have something substantial to attach a fire door hinge to (probably could have used a smaller hinge, that was just what I had lying about). I can't remember where I got the wooden toilet seat but I've seen 2nd hand ones on Ebay. To avoid the bucket moving forward I made a bracket from 8mm ply, cut out with a jig saw, sanded and screwed into place. That bucket is not going to move unless you lift the toilet seat, but at the same time emptying is quick and easy once you do.

So what was the verdict? My son is really pleased with his new toilet, he couldn't be more appreciative. My wife had her first solid night sleep in a long time last night so she's happy too, and it took me all of 30 seconds to empty it in the morning. :D

Here are the pictures:
full

full

Sponsored Links
Its an elegant solution

Win win for you as you also get brownie points from your wife for very little work

Nice one but I’d think of perhaps sheeting up the carpet.

When I was young, we lived in the upstairs of my great grans house in just two rooms. One was a small living room with literally just a settee and a fold up table and a bedroom with a double bed. We had an outside loo. Dad would sleep in the living room on the settee and me, my mum and my sister slept in the double bed. We had a bucket for night time use. One night, my sister who was about 5 at the time, got her fat arse stuck in the bucket and it came up as she got off of it and then dropped, spilling the contents of all three of us everywhere!

The edges of chipboard absorb moisture and are very rough so getting a splinter of wood is a real possibility.
I would suggest repeated coats of paint/ varnish/ silicone to smooth them which will also stop swelling from moisture

Sponsored Links
great job . your son is happy and thats all that matters.
i’m sad to say though you didn’t actually invent it as it can be found in builders vans country wide:LOL:
my mates actually has a soft close seat

The edges of chipboard absorb moisture and are very rough so getting a splinter of wood is a real possibility.
I would suggest repeated coats of paint/ varnish/ silicone to smooth them which will also stop swelling from moisture

I tested this from a few angles. :D. I don't think he can get a splinter unless he lifts the seat. He's probably not going to do that. I'm fortunate because that caber floor is far less likely to give a splinter than normal OSB or other chipboards that I've worked with, not really sure why. The room is completely dry and no p*ss gets anywhere near the chipboard because the top is level with the bucket top and the rubber feet have been taken off the seat, so looking at it sideways there's zero gab between bucket and seat. This was a really important consideration, not only for the chipboard, but also my carpet!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back