Totally Annoying Toilet Seat!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are in the process of having our bathroom finished off. I've got a handyman in to do a few bits and I asked him if he could 'fix' the toilet seat. Basically, it's all lined up and you sit on it a few times and then it starts moving. It is a slow shut toilet seat.

The handyman has reallined it and said it is set up correctly but he has come across this type of seat before and that it is a common problem. He said it is because it is a plastic fitting which moves very easily once seat has been sat on a few times. I asked if the fittings can be changed to metal but he said no. He suggested putting 'silicone - sticks like s' into the fittings to try and stop it moving.

I'm not convinced this is the answer - any better ideas? Totally fed up with keep on adjusting the seat.

Sponsored Links
If its the sort where the securing screws can be accessed from underneath, then a suitable metal nut and washers (preferably brass or stainless steel) can be used to replace the original plastic nut. Wing nut are ideal, but if access is reasonable, there's no reason why an ordinary hexagonal nut can't be used. However, use some care in tightening. If the porcelain between the top hinge fixing and the underside isn't flat, its not too difficult to crack the porcelain!

If its the hidden fixing sort, they're often held in place by and expanding plastic or rubber washer. There's not much you can do but learn how to tighten them. Do it every few weeks / as necessary, and eventually all the slack / flexibility may be taken out. If its a decent make, you could ask the manufacturers how to resolve the problem.

Hi, yes it is the hidden fixing sort which is held in place by expanding plastic.

Would you know if it is possible to buy a different seat where I could have better metal fixings such as the wing nut?

Toilet Seat.jpg
Toilet Seat 2.jpg

Sponsored Links
what is the make/manufacture,model of the pan and the seat.some have larger sized holes some have poor manufacturing tolerances for the blind fixing bolts.

Have got around the slipping fixings by fitting nylon ones and if the users were rather lardy then araldite the fixings to the china (with care to keep glue away from the screw threads).

As long as the fixings are fitted correctly,the seat is compatible with the pan then there should be no problem.

Edit,the fixings need to be 100% dry with no silicone or grease or it wont grip the china.

Should be an easy fix.

That pan looks so close to the wall the user is probably pushing the seat sideways

The other thing I have found with these seats/fixings is that cleaning products (bleach, cif, Cillit bang, etc) get wiped around the chrome cap covers and makes its way down into the holes and acts as a lubricant on the rubber grommets which causes them to slip in the holes! Almost every time I am asked to remove and refit one, the interior holes and fixings are slimy with all sorts of Shyte and corruption!

Short answer: don't go soaking cleaning products around those areas and thoroughly dry them off with kitchen roll after cleaning!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back