Toilet seat keeps falling down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have had a new bathroom installed but the seat on our toilet does not stay up and when you sit down on the seat the lid falls back onto your back

What is causing this the toilet and seat is the one we had before and it was fine before?

The plumber said there is nothing they can do they said if we buy another toilet seat and he will fit it but I don't think that would do anything as there was nothing wrong with the seat before

Sponsored Links
clearly something as altered, if you dont know what then we can only guess, maybe fixing adjustments.

Most loo seats have variable adjusment, and basically it means that the bits that go through the pan ceramic need to be brought forward a bit. This is possible in the majority of cases, and the seat needs to come off and the threaded pins that pass through the pan should be repositioned.
Of course, your new pan may be the exception to that rule!
John :)

I think they did try the adjustments but it didn't solve the problem

The pan is the old pan same with the seat, which was fine before the room was retiled and floor tiled

Could it be the cistern is not positioned correctly?

What would buying a new seat solve?

Sponsored Links
Yes too far forward,
If they moved the cistern forward to tile then they should have moved the pan the same amount.

Thanks so I need to tell them that the cistern is too far forward ? How can you tell?

What is involved repositioning the pan as well?

You would have thought they would know this without me having to use the forums

Its not Rocket Science is it, it was OK before, then they tiled the wall behind the cistern, now the seat wont stay up.
If they had moved the pan forward by the same amount the seat would stay up and you would not have a problem with it.

Was the toilet moved? Not too sure if the only the cistern itself could have been moved forward by say 10mm to accommodate the tiles given it's a closed coupled system and not be leaking, though stranger things have happened, it may have been tilted though.

Thanks all

Also with the cistern this has just been attached to the tiled wall behind using mastic on one side is this normal?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back