Sadiq Khan't

So Sadiq Kan has no authority or influence over Met Police policy?

I think you know your argument isnt really very valid, the Mayors office does not have significant control of the Mets budget, certainly not enough to reverse the governments cuts since 2010.

Since 2010-11 the Met’s general grant funding from the Government has fallen by more than £700 million or nearly 40 per cent in real terms on a like for like basis and in recent years the Met police have had to find more than £600m of cuts.

This has led to the loss of a third of police staff posts – down from 14,330 to 9,985, two-thirds of police community support officer posts – down from 4,607 to 1,591, as well as 114 police station front counters and 120 police buildings
https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/mayoral/stark-reality-of-government-police-funding-cuts

Sponsored Links
The line you have quoted says "policy" - over which the Mayor's office has very significant control.

The Mayor's office has control over approx. 30% of the Met's budget - I regard 30% control as significant.

Rather than read press releases (which are, in my opinion, politically motivated) try looking at actual figures - including all the funding the Met receives not just the general grant.

Then take a look at how that money is spent.

Since 2010-11 the Met’s general grant funding from the Government has fallen by more than £700 million or nearly 40 per cent in real terms on a like for like basis and in recent years the Met police have had to find more than £600m of cuts.

It's interesting that these are not your own words but a direct lift from press release from The Mayor of London's office in 2018 https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/mayoral/budget-confirms-110m-for-met-police

......rise of crime..... due to police budget and austerity.

That opinion is in the Top 10 of loony-left opinions; congratulations Notch.

Police budget cuts are not the cause of rising crime; the lack of punishment is.

When the police had more power and autonomy, they did a lot more with a lot less. If you had ten times the current number of police, it would not make much of a difference if the punishments handed out by the courts stayed the same.

If you don't punish crime, you get more of it. There should be more punishment and it should be more severe. We need things like life sentences meaning life sentences; mandatory prison sentences for accumulated minor offences (i.e. three strikes and you're out), and simply enforcing the current laws and imposing the sentences associated with them. Burglars and any property criminals should be made to pay back the cost of all thefts and damages, in money, even if it means taking from their future earnings for decades - as well as serving prison sentences.

Lawyers' powers need to be severely curtailed too.

AND we are not in a time of austerity! Austerity was in the 1940 and 50s, with rationing etc. Everybody was thin - look at any old film of the British public from those times. All skinny. Your "austerity", and your "police cuts", are outdated Tory-bashing clichés.

The line you have quoted says "policy" - over which the Mayor's office has very significant control.

The Mayor's office has control over approx. 30% of the Met's budget - I regard 30% control as significant.

Rather than read press releases (which are, in my opinion, politically motivated) try looking at actual figures - including all the funding the Met receives not just the general grant.

Then take a look at how that money is spent

I understand all that.

Yes the Mayor has some control.

Once you factor in the backstory that Khan starts with a vastly diminished budget that was slashed years back, then that 30% control cant in anyway make up the shortfall.

I agree the Mayors budget could be carved up differently so allowing more going to the met.

But that is a different argument from the fact that mayors office has no control in reinstating the mets budget before the Tories started slashing it in 2010

Sponsored Links

Then take a look at how that money is spent.

At least Khan didn't p iss away £50m like blow job did on his bridge to nowhere!

Or on blow job's illegal water cannon trucks...

Does Macron use water cannons every weekend on the fun rioters in gay Paris ! Oh those rioters are having so much fun !!!

That opinion is in the Top 10 of loony-left opinions; congratulations Notch

Its true, police cuts arent the only reason for a rise crime. Rising inequality, austerity, loss of youth clubs etc are all factors.

Police budget cuts are not the cause of rising crime; the lack of punishment is.
Interesting.

Do have proof to back that up.

There should be more punishment and it should be more severe
Apart from the fact more punishment doesnt work, it cant be done because the Tory government keep cutting prison budgets.

Oh and quite a few prisons are private contracts so are severely understaffed.

Andy, it sounds like you are seeking a Labour government to reverse austerity.

Would you like to see prison budgets increased?

AND we are not in a time of austerity

Ha ha, thats really funny -lets see you back that up

Austerity was in the 1940 and 50s, with rationing etc. Everybody was thin

Further indications of rising hunger include a growing number of infants and pregnant mothers suffering from anaemia; an increasing number of people diagnosed with malnutrition in UK hospitals; a rising number of children starting their first and primary year of primary school underweight. In 2015 for example, 6,367 children started reception class underweight, which is up 16% on 2012 figures. Official figures published in November 2016 indicated that the number of hospital beds assigned to folk suffering from malnutrition had nearly tripled in the last decade

Does Macron use water cannons every weekend on the fun rioters in gay Paris ! Oh those rioters are having so much fun !!!

You see Elle doesn't like water cannon yet he wants us to stay part of pack that does use water cannon. He a strange fella.

Perhaps prisons population is falling because the police are not investigating many of the smaller crimes?
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ration-violence-demand-officers-a8485316.html

Police have had a massive budget cut, they have been telling us over and over again the problems with this and their ability to do their job. Oh, and the people who run prisons have also had their budget cut by 25%. But hey, let's all blame the London Mayor for the shi ts and giggles!

Perhaps prisons population is falling because the police are not investigating many of the smaller crimes?
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ration-violence-demand-officers-a8485316.html

Police have had a massive budget cut, they have been telling us over and over again the problems with this and their ability to do their job. Oh, and the people who run prisons have also had their budget cut by 25%. But hey, let's all blame the London Mayor for the shi ts and giggles!
Why would they bother if the outcome of their endeavours is some luvvy duvvy wet liberal claiming the crim has had a bad upbringing and misses Jeremy Kyle so its not fair to punish him/her/it.

Why would they bother if the outcome of their endeavours is some luvvy duvvy wet liberal claiming the crim has had a bad upbringing and misses Jeremy Kyle so its not fair to punish him/her/it.
I've known a few coppers in my lifetime and the good ones get frustrated by courts when their hard work goes out the window the moment someone walks free.

There are people who want shorter sentences where someone doesn't do their time, but is that luvvy duvvly liberals fault or the fact the prisons are full, badly run, had their budgets slashed, prisons closing and it's an excellent way to save money?

Sponsored Links
Back