Safe to raise floor boards to fit more insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just received 100sqm of 170mm rockwool insulation to top up my 3 loft spaces. I've started on the main loft which has some floor boards down for storage.

However I now need to raise these floor boards to provide space for the insulation. My original plan was to use 175mm x 47.5mm joists running perpendicular to the ceiling joists to lay the boards on. However a few surveyors in work suggested this would put too much weight on the ceiling and cause it to sag. They suggested I should run the joists parallel to the existing ones and place the edges on the wall plate.

I had a quick look today and the wall plate doesn't seem easy to get to. Could I scew them into the wood where the struts meet the joist? I've attached some photos to illustrate. What should I do?

img6677s.jpg

img6676p.jpg

img6675f.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back