Safe Zone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add a socket to the ring main in our front room, however, i have a socket on one side of the fireplace, question is, does the horizontal safe zone extend around the fireplace (which sticks out from the main wall) to the other side?
I`m having the fireplace bricked up, so before i decorate etc, i want to get someone in to add the socket if the safe zone is acceptable?

Sponsored Links
Tracking all the way across the chimney breast wouldn't meet the criteria expected for (un)safe zones, too many corners involved. Better to go down and under the floor and up again o n the other side - unless you've got a concrete floor .... As you're going to brick up the fireplace you could, in practice, go through the brickwork either side of the chimney and across the fireplace void, as anyone in the future who reopened the fireplace would find the cable and be aware of the situation. Down, under and up would be best, though.

PJ

Tracking all the way across the chimney breast wouldn't meet the criteria expected for (un)safe zones, too many corners involved. Better to go down and under the floor and up again o n the other side - unless you've got a concrete floor .... As you're going to brick up the fireplace you could, in practice, go through the brickwork either side of the chimney and across the fireplace void, as anyone in the future who reopened the fireplace would find the cable and be aware of the situation. Down, under and up would be best, though.

PJ

how about up, round and down?

Sponsored Links
Thanks all.
Floor is concrete, so thats a no go.
Looks like my best option is up from the socket, around the top and down.
At least i can get on with bricking up the fireplace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back