Safeplates or conduit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I'm planning the route for an upstairs ring in a terrace. I'd hoped to take it along the landing through the joists to each of the rooms, but can't because it would take it inside the 25% limit. I assumed I'd have to use steel conduit in notches, but this has problems as all the existing wiring is under the landing (in unprotected notches) as well as the heating pipes. The wiki suggests safeplates as an alternative, but is this only for making safe existing wiring or can it be used for new installations as well?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately it would make the whole thing a lot more complicated.

There's a chimney stack, brick wall and a immersion heater in the way.
I'd have to take the run from the consumer unit above the stairwell. Take it straight into the second bedroom to get in the 25-40% limit. Take it up to the chimney stack, under the immersion heater and back into the landing to get to the third bedroom.

I tried to draw a plan in my reply, but it wasn't much help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back