safety concerns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, I've been lurking on here a while but have only had reason to chip in recently.

Whilst helping a friend to move in to her new house, I noticed that the cooker was not wired in and had no control unit above the counter. I checked behind the oven and found not the terminal outlet box you would expect, but a double socket. My concern is that the landlord is going to try and "plug the cooker in" using a standard plug. I checked the CU and found that it only had room for 2 MCBs, ring main and lighting, I checked the double socket and found that it was a spur, probably from the ring main.

Aside from this, I also found the reason why the fridge kept tripping the breaker for the house. It was a basdly frayed power cord in conbtact with the metal frame. I cut off the plug and told them to contact the landlord. I have told my female friends that when the landlord comes round, they are to phone me so that I can go round and have a word with him.

My questions are thus:

1 - Is this setup legal?
2 - Should I tear strips off the guy for allowing substandard and possibly dangerous wiring?
3 - Does a new consumer unit need to be installed by the electricity supplier?
4 - Is there anything else I should do?

If anyone could please comment on this situation I would be extremely grateful, as I'm a little concerned for my friends. please excuse the grammar and punctuation, I've had a few beers to calm my furious wrath.

Sponsored Links
1: Unfotunatley, it might be.. there's rules for landlords regarding gas checks and safety, but I don't think there's rules for electrical safety..
2: Absolutely, but whether your friends might see his retribution is something you have to weigh against your own concience.
3: The CU and wiring within the property is the responsibility of the landlord. The suppliers responsibility stops at the electricity meter..
4: Report him to whatever governing body there is for landlords..

now.. define "cooker" since you mention looking behind the oven..
is it an electric cooker?
if the hob is gas and the oven electric then it may be capable of plugging in.. it depends on the rating of the oven.
if it's an electric hob as well then it needs a properly installed cooker circuit, complete with switch above the counter and in full view..

Thanks for the reply,

Yes I should have clarified that it is an electric oven with a seperate gas hob mounted into the countertop. The isolation valve for the gas hob is situated behind the electric oven.

I will check the documentation that came with the oven at my friends house, though I remember it does say that it is intended to be wired directly into a terminal outlet.

Thanks

Hello everyone, I've been lurking on here a while but have only had reason to chip in recently.

Whilst helping a friend to move in to her new house, I noticed that the cooker was not wired in and had no control unit above the counter. I checked behind the oven and found not the terminal outlet box you would expect, but a double socket. My concern is that the landlord is going to try and "plug the cooker in" using a standard plug. I checked the CU and found that it only had room for 2 MCBs, ring main and lighting, I checked the double socket and found that it was a spur, probably from the ring main.

Aside from this, I also found the reason why the fridge kept tripping the breaker for the house. It was a basdly frayed power cord in conbtact with the metal frame. I cut off the plug and told them to contact the landlord. I have told my female friends that when the landlord comes round, they are to phone me so that I can go round and have a word with him.

My questions are thus:

1 - Is this setup legal?
Reading the account of death in Cornwell see Here
2 - Should I tear strips off the guy for allowing substandard and possibly dangerous wiring?
Can't see what he has done wrong 13A sockets to supply oven and hob spark generator is not really against any rules so long as it will not overload circuit
3 - Does a new consumer unit need to be installed by the electricity supplier?
No it is the land lords job although he could employ the same company who supplies power to fit it.
4 - Is there anything else I should do?

If anyone could please comment on this situation I would be extremely grateful, as I'm a little concerned for my friends. please excuse the grammar and punctuation, I've had a few beers to calm my furious wrath.
There are recommendations for Electrical installations called BS 7671:2008 or 17th Edition and also there is Part P which lets the local authority control what alterations are done. It is recommended that on change of occupant or every 10 years that a periodic inspection is carried out. On premises with multi-occupancy I think it is enforced but not for single occupancy. She could claim she was worried about the electrics and ask if she could view the last periodic inspection to set her mind at rest.
The PIR as it is known if done to current standards so there are near always some points raised because of changing regulations but they are coded and so long as there are no code 1 or 2's it should be OK.
Even a code 2 is not necessary dangerous but of course you always have the option to move.

Sponsored Links
As a PS when we do PAT testing it is common to cut off the plug on faulty appliances but this is only with permission of owner strictly speaking only allowed to stick on a fail sticker I have seen the plastic protectors you get with new equipment put on faulty equipment plugs and a notice tie rapped to it do not use so it would require a tool (Snips) to remove. Unless you have permission it is criminal damage.

If anyone works in the house it has to be to BS 7671 standard but not to live in. Mainly as other laws also kick in and to remove power would make a house uninhabitable and before even the supply company can do that they have to do all sorts like inform local council so the people can be rehoused but in a factory switching of power is a lot easier.

I know I use to get upset when people cut off plugs I considered removing the fuse was quite significant and would levy a charge if plug was removed.

Yes I understand that cutting off the plug may be considered as criminal damage, but the power cable was so badly damaged that it needed to be completely replaced anyway.

In hindsight, maybe it would have been better to remove the fuse and leave a notice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back